Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
mnewman
MVP

Chrome - Google Search

How do I tell Chrome that I want my Google searches done on the US site (google.com) rather than the Thai site (google.co.th)?

Safari always uses the US site while Chrome always uses the Thai site.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
NaOH
Hall of Famer

I don't use Chrome, but it looks like these instructions explain how to change the default search engine. US Google search isn't specifically mentioned, but I'd be surprised if it's not an option.
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
mnewman
MVP

Yes. I'd found that, but the default search engine, Google, is not editable on that page.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Did you catch the link on that page for adding a preferred search engine?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
mnewman
MVP

Yes, and I suppose I can add a "Google US" search engine. I just figured there ought to be a way to change the default search site for the built-in Google search engine. It appears to use Javascript. A little research indicates that it uses IP address to determine which country's Google site will be used.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I figured it was looking at your IP address. Two things to try: 1) Check this little article in case it's different than what Google posts in its help pages. I know Chrome is updated often, so I don't know if this method is still usable, but you'll be able to quickly tell. 2) Maybe there's an extension out there to achieve what you want.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
mnewman
MVP

I ended up making a custom search engine and using the Google US URL. That worked. Oddly, it wouldn't let me name the custom search engine with "Google" anywhere in the name.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewman
Oddly, it wouldn't let me name the custom search engine with "Google" anywhere in the name.

You could always name it Googol, which is the correct spelling of 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googol

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
mnewman
MVP

I'm at my wits end here.

<rant>
Why does Safari suck so? I switched to Chrome because Safari does such a miserable job when more than one web page is open: blank pages, SPOD, "Web pages are not responding" messages, unable to upload images to web forums, etc., etc.

But, turns out Chrome is not compatible with my bank's online service or with blogspot.com, which is the blog used by me and some friends. Plus, even if you set Chrome to be your default browser, the "Search with Google" contextual menu items insists on opening Google in Safari.

So, I went back to Safari and was immediately confronted with its incompatibility with my local web forum <korat-farang.com>, to which it is unable to upload images.

Perhaps I'll give Firefox another go....
</rant>
Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Why does Safari suck so? I switched to Chrome because Safari does such a miserable job when more than one web page is open: blank pages, SPOD, "Web pages are not responding" messages, unable to upload images to web forums, etc., etc.

I had some of those Safari issues early in Safari 5/Lion, but I rarely get them now, just the occasional blank page and that seems to only occur when my system is being taxed by other active processes. But if you'd like to continue with Chrome, the User-Agent Switcher extension should allow you to set the browser to identify itself as something your bank will accept (the fact that blogspot gives you issues is strange simply because Google owns blogspot).
Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
NaOH
Hall of Famer

And the Search With Google Service is actually attached to Safari. To re-create it for Chrome, check these instructions for creating a replacement Service.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
mnewman
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaOH
I had some of those Safari issues early in Safari 5/Lion, but I rarely get them now, just the occasional blank page and that seems to only occur when my system is being taxed by other active processes.

I also thought those issues were behind me, but lately it's been really awful. Thus the switch to Chrome.

Quote:
But if you'd like to continue with Chrome, the User-Agent Switcher extension should allow you to set the browser to identify itself as something your bank will accept

The bank problem is not a user-agent problem. Here's what happens:

When I switch from the "accounts" page to the "bill pay" page, Chrome takes me to another log in page, even though I'm already logged in. If I log in there, I get a message from the bank telling me I'm already logged in. With Chrome I can never get to the "bill pay" page. Plus, once I get that "logged in twice" message the only way to clear it is to quit Chrome. Closing the bank page does not clear the error.

Quote:
(the fact that blogspot gives you issues is strange simply because Google owns blogspot).

My thoughts exactly. But, with Chrome the "comments" section of Blogspot simple does not function, either on my own blog or my friends' blogs. Very frustrating.

Anyway, I'm now trying Firefox....
Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Both of those Chrome issues are odd. Like, I would think there's some issue. Have you tested in a new user account? And I'll throw two other browsers at you since they're uncommon and perhaps they haven't occurred to you.

iCab: Good and with some nice customizable options (e.g., use your Safari cookies), but what I really like about it is that it uses the built-in WebKit that's already on your Mac. So when Apple updates Safari for, say, security reasons, iCab automatically receives those changes.

WebKit: The nightly builds of WebKit can be had as a standalone browser. The icon is a little different, but in other regards it's like using Safari since it will show in the menu bar as that but, more helpfully, it will also use the Safari cookies, bookmarks, etc. that you already have. If you find yourself going this route and satisfied, you may want to see this post from the main Hints site for auto-updating WebKit.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
mnewman
MVP

Quote:
Both of those Chrome issues are odd. Like, I would think there's some issue.

The issue with both was cookies. It turns out that my bank uses third party sites for some of its services. If you have third party cookies blocked (as I usually do) then the site fails without a meaningful error message.

Same thing with Blogspot. It uses a third party (Google) for authentication. If you have third party cookies blocked it simply fails; again without a meaningful error message.

The solution is to allow third party cookies while you put each site through its paces. Once the third party cookies have been set, you can turn them off again.

So, I'm back to Chrome and it's working with both my bank (Bank of Internet) and with Blogspot.

I'm about to try your link for a replacement search service.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
mnewman
MVP

The replacement search service is great. It simply passes the search off to the default browser, so it should work with any of them. Very nice.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The issue with both was cookies. It turns out that my bank uses third party sites for some of its services. If you have third party cookies blocked (as I usually do) then the site fails without a meaningful error message.

Same thing with Blogspot. It uses a third party (Google) for authentication. If you have third party cookies blocked it simply fails; again without a meaningful error message.

The solution is to allow third party cookies while you put each site through its paces. Once the third party cookies have been set, you can turn them off again.

This has to qualify as ironic.

But I'm glad you got everything working well.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #17
mnewman
MVP

Ha ha ha ha!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Maybe you want to give Safari (yet) another try. From the release notes for version 5.1.4 which came out today, note the third bullet point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari 5.1.4 Release Notes
  • Improve JavaScript performance
  • Improve responsiveness when typing into the search field after changing network configurations or with an intermittent network connection
  • Address an issue that could cause webpages to flash white when switching between Safari windows
  • Address issues that prevented printing U.S. Postal Service shipping labels and embedded PDFs
  • Preserve links in PDFs saved from webpages
  • Fix an issue that could make Flash content appear incomplete after using gesture zooming
  • Fix an issue that could cause the screen to dim while watching HTML5 video
  • Improve stability, compatibility and startup time when using extensions
  • Allow cookies set during regular browsing to be available after using Private Browsing
  • Fix an issue that could cause some data to be left behind after pressing the “Remove All Website Data” button

Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
mnewman
MVP

Thanks. I'll give it another try....
Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
mnewman
MVP

Ooops. As soon as I switched to Safari I got this dreaded message again:

Quote:
Webpages are not responding. To visit the selected webpage, all webpages in other tabs and windows must be force reloaded. Do you want to visit this page?

In two weeks of using Chrome I never experienced anything like that. It happens quite consistently with Safari.

Back to Chrome, I guess. Although I've got no concrete proof, Chrome just feels faster. For example, if I click the close box on an open tab in Chrome, the tab closes immediately. In Safari, there is a brief but annoying delay.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: