Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Irene
MVP

Lion and efax

eFax is Power PC. The paid version allows you to convert to other file types including, I think, PDF. But the free version is no good with Lion. We only get a few faxes per year so we don’t really want to pay for the Pro version.

We received an important fax and fortunately had a computer which we had not updated to Lion so we were able to open it.

Does anyone know an incoming free fax compatible with Lion/Intel?
Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
acme.mail.order
League Commissioner

IIRC modem support was dropped from Lion, so getting software support might be interesting.

If you only receive a few faxes a year then the low-tech method might be best - a multifunction printer.
acme.mail.order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
aubreyapple
All Star

I am a little surprised you cannot change your on-line preferences to pdf format. I am a paid subscriber, but the online help for eFax regarding file types does not mention paid vs. unpaid. I had problems with Messenger years ago and swithed to PDF then. You could also, potentially, use a Windows boot either in VirtualBox or in BootCamp to decode... certainly a pain however.

Getting Faxes as pdf is a good option, if you can get it to work.
aubreyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
chabig
Hall of Famer

If you can download the faxes from their website, I believe GraphicConverter will open them.
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Irene
MVP

I have discovered --after 30 minutes playing with the site, that it is possible to log in and then see a small sized version of the fax. That doesn’t mean it is readily legible--especially if it is handwritten or musical notation -- but it is something. It only downloads in the incompatible with Lion .efx mode though. Graphic Converter was unable to open it.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
chabig
Hall of Famer

I found the following two helpful comments on Apple discussions.

Quote:
I just got off of the phone with eFax, and they informed me that you don't have to use the application to view/send faxes. I was on the phone for just a few minutes, and they changed my settings so that all future faxes are sent in PDF format, not EFX. I'd recommend calling if you want to stick with eFax and you have Lion.

and...

Quote:
Thank you for contacting eFax customer support.

eFax Messenger is currently not compatible with Macintosh OS.; however, we are actively working on a version that will be compatible. We regret to inform you that we can not predict the exact date by which Macintosh OS will be compatible. You will be updated on this once it is compatible.
You may receive your fax format to tif.

Faxes received in *.TIF format can be opened in any imaging software. For opening multiple page faxes in .tif format you need to download the multi page .tif viewer on to your computer which is available on the internet. Please feel free to contact us again for any further assistance.

If you wish to change your fax format to tif, please reply this e-mail with eFax number and PIN/ZIp Code confirming the same.

Bottom line: call eFax and tell them you're on Lion. Let them solve the problem.
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Irene
MVP

Oh they will--if you are a paying customer.
Free customers calls are not accepted; we may email support which I did. Sadly, the answer is the same as in the FAQ:

How do I convert EFX files to TIF or PDF?
If you have an eFax Plus® or eFax Pro™ account, EFX files may be converted to TIF or PDF using the eFax Messenger® software.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Fofer
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme.mail.order
If you only receive a few faxes a year then the low-tech method might be best - a multifunction printer.

Alas, that "solution" also requires a dial tone... some folks only have cell phones these days. And multifunction printers are usually "jack of all trades, master of none." I'd rather have a good printer. For so few faxes a year, it seems silly to require any specialized fax hardware at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene
How do I convert EFX files to TIF or PDF?
If you have an eFax Plus® or eFax Pro™ account, EFX files may be converted to TIF or PDF using the eFax Messenger® software.

In your account settings on the Efax website, you should be able to change your settings so that all FUTURE emails arrive in PDF format, as far as I know. Just did this today for a client -- although it's possible she's a paid Efax customer and not a free one. Note that this setting won't change the format of the EFX faxes already received, unfortunately. You'll still need to squint and view those on the Efax website. But at least any new faxes will come in as PDFs. And you don't need to call to talk to a CSR, you can do it directly on their site.

I wouldn't be surprised if Efax prevents free customers from changing this setting, though. Because they kinda suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene
Does anyone know an incoming free fax compatible with Lion/Intel?

eFax always has been the worst. Their service is downright hostile -- especially to their free customers. They seem to resent them.

That they don't even have a Lion-compatible version of their EFX software is ridiculous.

Consider Maxemail instead, who I've been using for years. Their cheapest service isn't "free" but nearly close to it, at $24/year. It just works, and to me, seems to be the most headache-free alternative.

From 2005: http://tidbits.com/article/8049

Last edited by Fofer; 11-16-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
bgoldbergmd

I figured it out!!! Look at the efax website viewer, right click on the fax, then save it to the desktop as an image (it will be a .png). Open the image via preview, print it as a pdf or actually print it. If needed, using preview, can combine multiple pages. No need to contact efax, no need for premium edition.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: