Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > Working with OS X > OS X Developer

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
dr chris jones
Triple-A Player

Lion, sudo and cpan

I've recently upgraded to Lion, and found that sudo doesn't work like it used to. Specifically, I now can't launch /usr/bin/cpan to install Perl modules. In Leopard/Snow Leopard, I used to do this under sudo in order that cpan would have the admin privileges required to perform make install. But now I get "sudo: cpan: command not found". Also, where I used to be able to launch cpan without sudo, I now can't do that either (getting a "Permission denied" error).

I've never tinkered with the sudoers file, or modified which apps can run under sudo - is this what I need to do to fix this? If so, can someone give me the heads up how to safely do that?

Before anyone suggests it - I don't want a second Perl installation, don't want to use Fink, homebrew, etc - I just want cpan to work again!
dr chris jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
dr chris jones
Triple-A Player

Forgot to mention that my account is the admin account on the computer and I can use sudo to perform other tasks (like chown, chmod etc). So far, cpan is the only task I've found I can't use under sudo
Old 02-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
dr chris jones
Triple-A Player

Oh, errr.... and perldoc
Old 02-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
dr chris jones
Triple-A Player

OK, I feel a bit silly for not spotting the bleeding obvious..... My mention of chown and chmod working reminded me that I hadn't checked the permissions in /usr/bin, and of course there were lots of errors. A quick "Repair Permissions" in Disk Utility has fixed the problem.

So now my question is - How does this happen? (Permissions getting broken, not me being half asleep)
Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
jsalmi
Major Leaguer

I'm curious as to which files/directories had permission issues after moving to Lion?
jsalmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
dmacks
All Star

I've seen an occasional user where lots of /usr/bin/ perlscripts lose their +x but I haven't seen anyone diagnose a common trigger of it.
dmacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
dr chris jones
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalmi
I'm curious as to which files/directories had permission issues after moving to Lion?

I didn't migrate (I'm not sure that's even possible...!) - it was a clean Lion install on a new iMac. Having looked back, I remember I had used cpan successfully when I first got my iMac, so these permission changes have obviously happened recently - and they seem to be Perl related (cpan, perldoc amongst a few errors).

The only related app I've installed recently is Eclipse and its Perl IDE, Epic - but why would that screw up the cpan and perldoc permissions?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: