Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPad Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Jacques
All Star

iPad syncs only one direction

I use three iPhones and one iPad. Only the iPad now has problems.

After a full Erase all Contents and Restore as new device (not from backup), as well as erasing all iTunes backups of this iPad and iCloud backups as well.

I've synced to Mac and to iCloud, synced not Wifi and with Wifi. I've repaired permissions as well. I've exhausted all thoughts for now...

I can sync anything by using iTunes to install. It always works in that direction. However, if I delete any app from the iPad or add any app from the iPad - a sync will simply wipe out the apps added.

Apps added or deleted from iTunes on Mac sync fine, apps added or deleted from iPad home screens / App store, etc - do not sync.

Any thoughts? I'm at a loss here..

thanks

Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God. -Robert Schuller

..believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable.. -1Peter 1:8
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Jacques
All Star

Can anyone help?

Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God. -Robert Schuller

Old 01-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
ud90
Prospect

What is the exact problem you are experiencing? Once you have set your iPad up (with iTunes) and change anything directly on the iPad it will wipe anything at the next sync?
ud90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

Is the device Jailbroken?

Also, have you backed up the device, either to iCloud, or iTunes? If not, back it up in the state you want it and try again.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Jacques
All Star

It's not jailbroken.

I've done every combination. The only thing I didn't try was to reinstall iTunes, which would of been just way to much work - to erase all things and reinstall.

Well, the latest iTunes update (for iBooks textbooks etc) did the trick!! Either the reinstall fixed the issue or it was a bug that was fixed.

So glad it's over now, this was a tough one... all syncs well both ways now.

GavinBKK, thanks for trying to help. Some years back I think a question like this would have had ten responses, the lack of help was discouraging..

But you came to try to help! =)

anyways, have a blessed weekend

Jacques

Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Jacques
All Star

the sync was going on as I typed that last message, it seemed alright as it zoomed past the step for app sync

Guess what? It's still not working. I installed an App via the iPad App Store, synced - and it was erased without warning after all was done.

Maybe I have to erase a preference that has to do with the iPad in the Library folder? Any ideas? (I've erased backups and iPad and used all combos, nothing works so far..)

thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

Hello mate,

Well, I think the Forum is generally quieter these days and I don't know why.

Anyway, you got it fixed and that's the main thing. I am surprised that the new iTunes did the trick.

Do you only use the device with one computer? Also, have you done the "Transfer Purchases thing? Ctrl-click on the device in the sidebar and it appears in the contextual menu. I plug my devices into most of my machines, at least from time to time and I cannot be sure, but it could well be that this causes some of the issues I have. I am still going through a Missing Purchases issue with the iTunes Support people. I have to say they have been very attentive.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

Crossing posts...

OK go to: "your username/Library/Preferences and move all the iTunes .plist files to the desktop (in case you need to put them back later) and log out and then back in again. See how that fares. However, I would do the Transfer Purchases thing before any of this.

Possibly a stupid question: Do you have more than one App Store account?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Jacques
All Star

That didn't do the trick.

Just one AppleID for one iTunes store account. All my other devices (three iPhones) have no problems syncing at all. It's just the iPad now (I've had it over a year, never problems before.)

Any other thoughts?

thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Jacques
All Star

Ok, I got a little further tonight.

I used my wife's MBP and her iTunes to sync with the said iPad. Without going into lots of details, I've definitely determined it's the iTunes install that is bad.

The iPad syncs and behaves perfectly fine with the laptop!

So, I have an iTunes install on my Mac Pro that has gone bad somehow. I've repaired permissions, updated iTunes (that last iBooks textbook update) and deleted all preferences in ~/Library/Preferences/*itunes*

I need to cleanly remove all remnants of my MP iTunes install and then reinstall without erasing it's music/books/apps etc contents.

Can someone advise?

thanks

Last edited by Jacques; 01-26-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

Do you use iTunes match and/or, do you have a lot of iTunes content not purchased from Apple?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
Jacques
All Star

I managed to erase the iTunes app, helper, preferences, associated mobile kext, by host preferences and iTunes folder inside of the library.

A full reinstall of latest iTunes, viola! My library remained intact and all iPad sync issues are now resolved.

Thanks GavinBKK so much, for your correspondence!

Have a good weekend, Jacques.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

How did you achieve that? AppZapper, or similar?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted. I am still chasing missing purchases with iTunes Support. Same as you, only on the one iPad. Bizarre.

I am using Safari here. Have you noticed that the thread posts are displaying in a chronologically-challenged manner?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Jacques
All Star

I did it all manually, as described.

When you say purchases, do you mean apps? Media for keeps? Video rentals?

If video rentals, Apple has told me friend that there are certain rentals that aren't working properly at this time..

Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #15
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

I meant anything really.

Still syncing well?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #16
Jacques
All Star

Yup, reinstalling iTunes completely washed out the problem.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
mrjones19
Prospect

When you connect the iPad to iTunes click on the iPad under devices then look under the "Apps" section on the right.

There is a setting to choose whether to "Sync Apps" automatically or not -which I hate-.Turning this off should allow you to manually manage your applications (kind of similar to managing music manually).
mrjones19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
Jacques
All Star

By the way, I went through similar problems with all of the iLife apps!! About a month ago, I had to manually remove and reinstall/update iPhoto, iMovie and maybe one more. What a strange thing, I've never been through all this before.

All is well however. Just always know, a back-up is never an option. Never. You shouldn't even use a computer with data that's important - without some kind of backup. Really. =)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: