Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Classic

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 192 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #41
marquagr
Prospect

I need help with classic

I bought a G4 tower with OS10.4 already loaded on it. Classic doesn't work on it and I already have tried to reload OS9 on it. Is there some way to install OS9 on OS10, basically reverse the order, so that I can run Classic? I also tried the Power Mac G4 restore CDs and Classic started to work. It says that there is a problem opening the TruBlueEnvironment. How do I fix that?

Thanks for any information.
marquagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #42
benwiggy
League Commissioner

You can install OS 9 or OS X independently of each other. The installer package for OS 9/Classic should be on your installer disks.
Please describe in full detail:
1. Exactly what Mac you have: e.g. processor speed and type of G4 tower.
2. What installer disks you have been using to install Classic. Grey or Black?
3. What is the exact error message you get, and the steps that you do to make it happen?
4. Is there a folder at the top level of your hard drive called "System Folder". (NB. not "System".)

Also, please let us know what software you plan to run under Classic. Perhaps there is a native OS X version that will work better.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #43
marquagr
Prospect

I click the Classic button in my System Preferences. I start it and it says that I need to check the console. It says that there is a error 1 that occured. I am trying to run Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, and those kinds of programs. I can't afford the new CS programs right now, but I could still use those until I can. My mac is Dual 1.25Ghz PowerPC G4 2M lb L3 cache per processor 2GB DDR SDRAM. I have been using the grey software install and restore disks. There is a System Folder for OS9 on my HD.

Thanks
marquagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 AM   #44
sulnunhug

My Panther disquettes do not seem to have any means of loading Classic, and when I open Disk Utility (from my Panther install CD) to "Fix OS 9 Permissions" as indicated in Apple article ID: 107383 this is greyed out.

My PowerBook HD contains two system folders as follows:

"System" - which contains one folder called "Library", which in turn includes (among other things) a folder called "Classic" (but this is empty).

"System Folder" - which contains (among other things) three files as follows:

"Classic"
"Classic Support"
"Classic Support UI"
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #45
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

Your System Folder does not contain the required 'System' and 'Finder' files. The three files you found there are to interface the System 9 files to Classic mode.

The original discs that came with your computer should contain a "Classic Install" which should place a viable System 9.2.2 on your drive.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #46
MomenumsKem

FAQ How do I restore Classic

I recently did a few upgrades to my cube and one of them included the HD. I need to install classic on the new drive so i can upgrade my firmware and install leopard. Every time I reboot and hold down "c" I get a flashing floppy disk icon??? weird im not sure what it means. I am using an external LaCie optical drive for now because my internal is out of whack. any suggestions would be great.

Thanks again
Old 12-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #47
Craig R. Arko
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomenumsKem
I recently did a few upgrades to my cube and one of them included the HD. I need to install classic on the new drive so i can upgrade my firmware and install leopard. Every time I reboot and hold down "c" I get a flashing floppy disk icon??? weird im not sure what it means. I am using an external LaCie optical drive for now because my internal is out of whack. any suggestions would be great.

Thanks again

Has it booted from the external drive before? Not all of them work.

Also, you should know Leopard (10.5) doesn't support Classic. You need Tiger (10.4) for that.
Craig R. Arko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #48
josa
Prospect

How to install os 9 on my imac G4 700mhz that run mac os 10.4.11.there is a classic icon at system preferences but when i click on it, it says there was no os 9 system folder...why...why...need an expert help.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #49
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Do you have your original restore disks? That will be a set of grey disks that originally came with your iMac. One of those will be labeled as having the OS 9 install.
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #50
josa
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
Do you have your original restore disks? That will be a set of grey disks that originally came with your iMac. One of those will be labeled as having the OS 9 install.

I don't have it, the grey disks but i have os 9 disk.What should i do then.Should i install it at start up while press c key or how?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #51
jettlee1

what classic software do you use?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #52
agreimann
Triple-A Player

OK--Mac OS 9 is a separate product distinct from OS X. In OS X 10.5 "Leopard", Apple officially cut support for Classic to run on machines without an emulator. In other words, if you have 10.5 or 10.6 (a.k.a "Leopard" or "Snow Leopard"), then you can't run OS 9 apps without an emulator.

If you have "Tiger", "Panther", or earlier (10.4 or earlier), you can most certainly run Classic if it is supported for your platform (e.g. G3, G4). From here, you need to find an OS 9 disc and install it to your Mac (the best way to do this is to boot from the CD by holding the C key and to install OS 9 like you would a fresh install--only do NOT format and leave OS X intact--don't delete anything.) When you're done, reboot and hold X. The Mac will reboot into OS X, after which you can select your OS of choice or run Classic if you want to.

Now, if OS 9 is already there and installed, it is recommended that you verify the validity of that folder. One definitely is to ensure the folder is "blessed". In the pre-OS X days, this meant a Macintosh or a Mac OS logo on the folder when Finder and System were put into it with all proper parts, as everyone already is most likely aware. Under OS X, this means opening Terminal and typing in the bless command. OS 9 also had a thing called "resource forks", and if files are messed with improperly (this means dragged to a MS-DOS partition and resource forks invisibly stripped) those files can become damaged, and therefore not work. If a folder is found but doesn't work, then this is probably why. Your best bet is to reinstall OS 9 because if either the Finder or System file is corrupt, that indicates major trouble. You can, however, open an update tome and use TomeViewer to drag the Finder file on a machine running Mac OS 7.5-9.2 and put that in Finder's place, but again, please do this on HFS or HFS+ formatted drives.

One last thing to conclude this long comment. If you try to force a Mac to boot a Classic (OS 9) folder on an architecture that is not supported, that will land you with a Mac that won't boot--temporarily, at least. Read the comment below to fix this:

@ williamtothemax: Certain Macs support different versions of OS 9. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_9 and view the chart to see what I mean. If you booted 9.0 on a 9.2 supported only machine, that's a problem. Press Cmd+Opt+O+F to initiate OpenFirmware when your Mac first chimes. Type (without quotes) "reset-nvram" then press return. Type "reset-all" and press return. If you had OS X installed before OS 9, hold down X as soon as the Mac chimes. You should be back to OS X. If not, hopefully you've got separate partitions for OS 9 and OS X--go ahead and hold option down. If you see an OS X partition, select it and click the -> button.

Hope all of this helps those interested.
agreimann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #53
anildutt786

hi
Can one do a "Custom Install" of Classic off the Panther CDs? This should be possible though I haven't yet found a way to do it.
thanks
Old 05-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #54
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

anildutt786 - Panther does not include anything to help install Classic, but does include support for the Classic environment. The visible part of that support is the Classic preference pane that is a standard part of the OS X System Preferences. That does not need a custom install of any kind.
I think if you look at the rest of this thread, you will find good, complete information about restoring Classic. If you are wanting that for your B&W G3, then all you really need is an OS 9 installer CD, or a hard drive with OS 9 installed. You can simply copy over the System Folder from a hard drive that has OS 9 installed - and that will result in a usable Classic environment.
What more do you need?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #55
Tangedevojke

FAQ How do I restore Classic

huh. its a shame that none of the 84-87 links work.. i wonder why? it would be nice to have those working again because i JUST ANSWERED the exact same question twice, which SHOULD BE in the FAQ but it is blocked out.. huh.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #56
adolph mowini
Prospect

I'm an experienced Windows user with little Mac experience.
I've read thru this whole thread, and I'm getting the picture. But still have some questions about my system. I just bought a used iBook G3, from 2002 or 2003. It came with Tiger 10.4 installed, and included the Tiger install cd's. I'd like to run some multimedia cd games and e-magazines from around 1995. (ran them on a Mac OS 7.5.3 way back when.)
I try to install from a cd: Tiger has the Classic icon but says I don't have an OS 9 folder installed. The 10.4 disks I have do not include the "Additional Software" option that the Apple support mentions. I downloaded a OS 9.2.1 disk and burned it. If I hold down C and boot it, OS 9 desktop loads but says it cannot install to this hard drive. I tried dragging the System Folder from cd to HD, but that just made the system unbootable. So I restored back to 10.4 and updated to 10.4.11. I'm now back where I started.
From reading this thread, it looks like I just need a OS 9 System Folder from an iBook G3. I don't know anyone with a Mac, let alone an antique iBook like this one. What can I do to get Classic support under Tiger?

(meanwhile the iBook is not a complete waste - I'm running old DOS games under DOSBOX.)
adolph mowini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #57
chrispaul3

What I did, as someone suggested from this forum, was to drag a copy of the System Folder from another iMac into this one that lost its System Folder. You cannot use Classic as a Startup Disk using this technique but you can run it to open programs that work only in Classic.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #58
Sandman619
Prospect

Another alternative would be to partition the startup disk & install OS 9 directly. This makes the OS 9 installation independent from any OS X install. There won't b a Classic emulator from OS X, to run any classic apps would require a reboot into OS 9 for PowerPC systems that support System 9
Sandman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #59
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Sounds like Sandman619 has either forgot how OS 9 and Classic work together, or never really understood that relationship.
That separate partition method also will not work, unless the OS 9 drivers were installed originally on the startup disk. Those are needed, if one needs the OS 9 system to be bootable. You cannot add the OS 9 drivers without completely erasing the hard drive.
The Classic environment would work fine from a separate partition, and the OS 9 drivers would not be needed in that event, because you don't need to actually boot from the OS 9 system, even if that's on a separate partition. All that's needed is to select the OS 9 System Folder from within the Classic pref pane.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: