Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 03-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
kokomodrums
Prospect

Unhappy Macbook won't boot from Install CD

So I have an early 2008 black Mackbook. I have the original install cds. I was having issues with the hard drive (clicking noise occasionally) and was ready for a reformat anyways so I decided to get a new hard drive and reinstall mac os x.

My disk drive might also be faulty because it makes weird noises when its loading a disk. I accidentally put one of those small cds in the disk drive thinking it could handle it and..well, had to fish it out with a paper clip. And, my mac has taken a few...spills on the floor...so, yeah...

Anywho, I loaded up the install disk with my old hard drive (it took a few tries for the install disk to actually boot. When I held down option at startup it would recognize the install cd but would go to the grey loading screen and never load. Took a few tries but it finally did load).

Then, with the install disk booted and the old hard drive in, I tried reformatting the drive to Mac Os x journaled or w/e. I told it zero out everything. It ran for hours and never got past 1 hour 4 min remaining. Then it accidentally got unplugged, and since the battery doesnt work, it died. Tried loading the install disk over and over for days and it would never load again.

So I decided to put my new western digital notebook drive in and see if that would for no reason fix the problem. Nope. Still isn't loading the install disk. Like I said it recognizes the disk as bootable but won't ever stop loading. I hear the disk drive startup but it eventually just stops. But the screen looks like its still loading.

...So, any advice???
kokomodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Sounds like your optical drive hasn't been treated very nicely... - so, some options:
Try a cleaning disk in the drive.
Replace the existing optical drive.
Purchase an external burner.
Boot to your installer by using FireWire target disk mode from another Mac.
That would be the main choices, maybe others will contribute here.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
kokomodrums
Prospect

Would it be possible to convert the mac install disk to an iso on another computer, put that on a flash drive, and boot from the flash drive???
Old 03-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Yes
Use your OS X Disk Utility - the restore tab will allow you restore your installer DVD to another volume, and that volume can be on a flash drive.
I prefer an external hard drive, but it's your choice...
Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
kokomodrums
Prospect

How big does the flash drive need to be?

And how do I use disk utility if the mac wont even load the cd? I only have a windows computer to do the iso.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

10.5 should be OK with an 8GB partition.
Unless someone else has other experience, you'll need to find a Mac to do the restore.
The flash drive partition would need to be bootable, and I don't know if you can copy the DVD to a flash drive using Windows, and have a bootable partition for OS X. You can experiment with your Windows computer and see if what you get will work.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
kokomodrums
Prospect

Ok, lets say I don't have access to another mac, just a windows computer.

Any options?

I tried the remote install application from the mac os x install disk, but it seemed to be built only for macbook airs. Well, it didn't work for ME atleast.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Considering the amount of time and such it might take to get 10.5 onto a memory stick, if there's an Apple Store near you that might be of help. You could schedule an appointment, walk in a few minutes early, buy 10.6 (US $30) and have them help you with the install process.

And just for the record, the process of zeroing out a drive A) takes quite a while, B) provides minimal benefit at best, and C) is a risky, taxing process on a drive which may be failing (like your original drive appeared to be doing when you went the zero-out route).
NaOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
kokomodrums
Prospect

Well the nearest Apple store would be about an hour away. So I'll exhaust my other options first.

Turns out my friend's girlfriend has an older mac. So I'm going to try the firewire target disk mode setup. If that works, I'm still gonna try to get 10.5 on a flash drive for any future needs.

Any compatibility issues I may come across with an older model mac? I don't know if it's a macbook, powerbook, imac, etc. Or the year really. She might be bringing it by tomorrow so I'll know then. I'm assuming its a laptop and from atleast 2005.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
trevor

As long as you put the Install Disc into OTHER computer (i.e. the older Mac) and put the older Mac into FireWire Target Disk Mode and not your MacBook, then you won't have any compatibility issues.

Don't put your MacBook into FireWire Target Disk Mode, boot to the older Mac, and install onto your MacBook's hard drive while booted to the older Mac. There are lots of potentials for compatibility issues doing it that way.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: