Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
FabioRueda

Unhappy Mess up with FileVault and Short Name

Hi everybody!

I have made some mess here in my MacBook Pro with MAC OS X 10.5.6 and I really need somebody help. I really don't have nobody else to ask that.

First of all, I have turn on the FileVault of my Adm Account, then I try to change my short name just using the advance panel of adm user. Then when I restart my MAC I can't loging because are showing some error with my new short name.

Now the access to my MAC is totaly blocked and I just have access to single-user mode (starting with Command + S pressed) and the terminal.

I have tried change the directory name but it is just read-only directory. I have tried to get access using security mode but this do not helps. I have tried to use the master password but this do not helps at all.

I am "newbe" using the MAC terminal so, PLEASE, can anybody help me to fix this mess up? IŽd like to come back the old short name and get again the acces to my MAC.

Thank you very much for your all attention.

Best regards,

Fabio Rueda
fabio.rueda@hotmail.com
Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
trevor

Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4 or later: Return to default desktop, apparent "loss" of home directory

Mac OS X: How to change user short name or home directory name

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
Hal Itosis
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioRueda
I just have access to single-user mode (starting with Command + S pressed) and the terminal.

I have tried change the directory name but it is just read-only directory.

To answer just that ^ part... in single-user mode, the filesystem is initially mounted as read-only. In order to make changes (such as renaming an item), we need to run this command first:

mount -uw /

[edit: however, i have no idea what other impediment FileVault might present in this case.]

chown -R us /your\ base/

-HI-

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 12-29-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Hal Itosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filevault, mac os x, short name, terminal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: