Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Rinzwind
Prospect

Wireless Scanning on HP/Canon/Epson All-in-One Wireless Devices?

Do the HP Photosmart All-in-One Wireless devices also allow you to scan wirelessly, or does that still require a USB connection? I'm about to buy a MacBook Air from the online Apple Store and am considering to make use of their "buy a printer too and get a €80 rebate" promotion. They offer a few all-in-one devices from HP and Epson with combined USB and wireless connections. But it's not very clear to me whether that means you can only print wirelessly or they do also allow you to scan wirelessly. I could not find a clear mention of this in the product description. Can anyone tell me whether wireless scanning is possible?

I might also consider buying a Canon all-in-one even though no promotion is offered for these. My experience with HP is that their software for Mac is quite bad and also, the €80 that I might save now will be wasted on their more expensive ink cartridges in the long run. I don't have recent experience with Epson devices.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
soho
Major Leaguer

If it's a wireless device of course it will scan wireless.
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
Rinzwind
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho
If it's a wireless device of course it will scan wireless.

The models listed have both USB and wireless connections, so they are not wireless-only all-in-one printer/scanner devices. I was nevertheless inclined to assume that they would also allow wireless scanning, but I got suspicious when I noticed that the product description only mentioned something like "And thanks to the built-in wireless connection, you can also print wirelessly." So I'd prefer to have some actual confirmation from someone who owns such a device that wireless scanning is indeed possible, rather than just assuming it is.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
Gilles9
Triple-A Player

You are right to be careful
I never heard of wireless scanning. (ecept maybe very high end, or experimental)

Check carefully
Gilles9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
Rinzwind
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles9
You are right to be careful
I never heard of wireless scanning. (ecept maybe very high end, or experimental)

I've done some further Googl'ing and some people do report having an all-in-one device that allows them to scan wirelessly. It's surprisingly hard to find clear information about this though. I've checked the manual for one of HP's Photosmart devices with wireless connection, but when it came to wireless scanning the manual (in my native language) referred to an online support page (which was in English!) that didn't seem to make any mention of wireless scanning at all!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
capitalj
All Star

I suspect that wireless printing is mentioned more prominently because the average person is more interested in printing than scanning, but it's smart to read documentation carefully.

My HP Photosmart 2710 all in one is several years old, but scanning and card reading both work wirelessly. It wasn't high end or experimental when I bought it. Scanning wirelessly with HP software and, if I recall correctly, Image Capture, was reliable. Sometimes scanning through other software can be troublesome (like the former Receipt Wallet, now Paperless), but there are usually workarounds. The updated software works reasonably well with Snow Leopard (not as well as it worked with Tiger or Leopard), but while I was waiting for the software to be updated I switched to an ethernet connection as a temporary work around. It's faster than wireless, so I haven't switched back to a wireless connection. We bought a wireless device to could keep the printer and laptop stored out of reach of grubby little fingers. The kids are a few years older and less destructive, which is another reason a wireless solution is less of an issue now.
capitalj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
soho
Major Leaguer

I have an epson and a samsung all-in-one and both scan with wireless connections.
soho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-in-one, mac, printer, scanner, wireless

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: