Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
Sz
Prospect

Command Key is Stuck

Hello,

The command key on my 09 macbook acts like it's stuck, but it really isn't. I can't type anything because the computer thinks I'm typing a command, e.g. command z or c.

Right now I'm using a separate keyboard and mouse, and those work for the most part, but sometimes I have to unplug and replug them. Whenever I try to use the macbook's keys though, they don't work.

I've deleted everything relating to my wacom because I heard that might mess with it, and I was using the wacom when this issue occurred. This hasn't helped though ) :

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Are you saying that the external keyboard exhibits the same problem? That would suggest that the problem is not with the keyboards, but some other hardware or software issue.

Are you sure that you don't have Universal Access Sticky Keys on? Check System Prefs > Universal > Keyboard.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Sz
Prospect

External keyboards do work. When I accidentally use the macbook's own keyboard though(force of habit), I have to unplug and replug in the external keyboard to get it working.

Sticky Keys has been off.

This morning the macbook started acting fine. I didn't do anything different to try to fix it, but it's working now. I hope this problem doesn't happen again.

Thanks for your help.
Sz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Irene
MVP

You could go to System Preferences->Keyboard->Modifier Keys and set the command key to do nothing, and set the shift lock key to perform the command functions.
(No one needs shift lock.)
Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
wu-wei

Hi-

I registered here in case someone else runs across this thread looking for help… as I did

In my case the issue turned out to be "orphaned" keystrokes from (Chicken of the) VNC. I use cmd 1..6 to switch virtual desktops. When I use this shortcut to leave the vnc window, the remote computer gets the cmd keydown but never receives the keyup. Next time the window has focus, or you switch to the physical keyboard (even days later) it still thinks the cmd key is down. Toggling capslock or the cmd key straightens it out.

This has been happening off and on for years with one of our machines but it wasn't until I upgraded my desktop to Snow Leopard that it became a consistent behavior.

It might help to pop open the virtual keyboard:
  • System Preferences->International.
  • Open the Input Menu tab.
  • Check "Enable" in the Keyboard Viewer.
  • Select Show Keyboard Viewer in the Input Menu.

This will highlight pressed keys in the virtual keyboard overlay.

Funky!

Tags
command, doesn't work, key, macbook, stuck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: