Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
ahicks
Prospect

Bizarre deleted mail issues

I am running Snow leopard on a MacBook Pro that I upgraded a few days ago. I have updated to 10.6.1 since that initial install. Mail broke upon the initial install, and is still broken. Here is the problem:

1. I try to delete a message and get the error message

`The message “Renew Your Membership on Monday!” could not be moved to the mailbox “Trash — Gmail”
The operation couldn’t be completed. File exists'

I should point out that I use pop Gmail. I googled this message and found a lot of references to it happening on iPhones. I suspect it is something that is related to pop (also imap users encounter it). But I found no solutions to my problem.

2. If I look in the trash after trying to delete the message, the mail browser shows what looks like the message. I.e. it shows the mail "sent from" and "subject" fields correctly in the upper half of the mail browser. BUT if you look at the message content, it is not what I deleted but is some seemingly random old email that was put into trash(usually from 2008).

Any help would be appreciated.
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
trevor

If you have more than one mailbox under "Inbox", then select it. If you have only one Inbox with no subdirectories, then you can skip this step.

Go to the Mailbox menu, and select Rebuild.

If that doesn't fix it, try quitting Mail and launching it again.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
ahicks
Prospect

Thanks!

Thanks so much. That worked. I did need to reboot. I think it also resolved the issue of some missing emails.

Andy
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
D. Sikes

I am having the same problem Running OSX 10.6.2
One of my mailboxes gives the response "The operation couldn’t be completed. File exists"
whenever I try to delete an e-mail. The message header goes to the trash but when I click on it I get an already deleted complete message attachments and all. I can empty the trash of that bogus message but when I go back to the inbox and try to delete the same massage the same thing happens except when I go to trash another already deleted message is attached to the header
Very weird! Any help will be appreciated. BTW I did rebuild the mailbox (Twice ) and restarted the mail. Also re-booted computer. The issue still exists.
Thanks
David
Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Robski5

Hi David,

This worked for me but you may of already fixed your problem by now...

Within Mail:
1. Select Preferences
2. Select Accounts
3. Select the problem mail account
4. Click the Advanced tab
5. Untick 'Enable this account'.
6. Close and it will ask to save the settings
7. Go back into the account and then tick 'Enable this account' and this should then rectify the problem with deleting your emails.

I had exactly the same problem you had, so hopefully this will work for you too.

Cheers, Rob
Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
kasha
Prospect

cannot deleat any gmail account emails

"The operation couldn’t be completed. File exists"

I have just started having this problem. I have tried the suggestions listed on this forum but they do not solve the issue. I am runnin gOSX 10.6.8. Any information will be appreciated.
kasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
StuffGlalty

Bizarre deleted mail issues

I use Thunderbird a an e-mail client, and my settings are to move deleted messages to Trash. I then manually empty Trash, but, if I forget, I have the "Empty Trash on Exit" setting activated. Lately, when I log in via the Web, I find that all of my deleted messages show up with lines through them, and I have to manually delete them.

Am I missing some settings either in Thunderbird or in the web-based preferences so that Thunderbird will empty Trash permanently?

Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: