Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 09-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
gmason
Triple-A Player

Unhappy 10.6 Time Machine info request

I think mine are botched up, so can anyone please point me to, or post, the actual contents of these 10.6 (or better yet, 10.6.1) TM related plists other than on my installed system?

com.apple.backupd.plist
com.apple.backupd-attach.plist
com.apple.backupd-auto.plist
com.apple.backupd-wake.plist

I have heard of a program named Pacify that might allow me to get them from my install CD. I can't seem to find it. Any pointers or ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

P.S. I will admit to my stupidity in advance as well - I should know better.
gmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

The name of the software utility that you want is 'Pacifist', not Pacify. The correct name will make that easier to find, I bet.
http://www.charlessoft.com/
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
gmason
Triple-A Player

Yes, thanks - I stumbled on that after the OP.

However, when I do what it asks, all I see available to extract from are the doc and optional installs packages. I think I need deeper access to the OS packages. Any ideas?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

What leads you to believe that those particular .plist files are corrupted somehow?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
gmason
Triple-A Player

OK, go ahead, make me confess.

I have been playing with them for a couple of days. Somehow, during that time, a few things have happened so that I am now in the following position:

1. TimeMachineEditor says I am missing some system files - no idea why, but as it used to work fine, I am now without that choice.

2. I managed to change my backup schedule to once a day at 0200 - at least that is what everything seems to indicate, but

3. I now can't turn TM on (using the prefs panel) - it always reverts to off, meaning that I can't use another program with a UI to make settings either.

4. And finally, even with it permanently off, it still backs up by itself at random times, which I don't want.

I think I have learned enough to start with a fresh set and get to where I want to be. [N.B. Remember who is saying that. ] Now all I need is a fresh set.

Thanks for playing along.

Cheers...Gary

BTW, I had it working just fine in 10.5.8 and earlier, but ...
Old 09-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Could be there's more than just files associated with Time Machine missing. Simplest would be to stop guessing what's really happened, and simply boot to your Snow Leopard DVD, and let the system reinstall. That should reset any missing system files - which will give you your fresh set of files.....
Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
gmason
Triple-A Player

I want that as a last resort, of course. In fact I have not played with anything but the four plists, so am hoping to get fresh copies of those first.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

As you were having problems with that configuration already (why were you playing with the internal plists, otherwise?), the reinstall will assure that 'things' are reset completely, and that your 10.6 install is actually what you expect, so, in this case, it should be considered your next step.
Upgrade back to 10.6.1, and backup those .plists before you start modifying them, eh?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
gmason
Triple-A Player

Wink

Ah, no. The problem I had after 10.6 install was only the "once an hour" backup that was defaulted. Trying to get back to once a day is why I started messing with the plists again. Then I did something wrong, and things went downhill from there.

They seem to have changed the plists between releases, and not only 10.5 to 10.6, though I can't be absolutely sure of that. I found several examples of virgin plists on the 'net from earlier versions, and they were all different.

So I want to get a set of virgin 10.6 plists and move on. More carefully than last time.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
gmason
Triple-A Player

OK, I have them using Pacifist! I will proceed, and post the results (probably in a day or two).

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
gmason
Triple-A Player

Just some quick results:

1. Simply replacing the buggered ones with the virgin ones (all dated 07252009) solved the missing system files issue.

2. It also solved the TM permanently off issue.

3. As a result, TimeMachineEditor now works again, and I set my parameters of once daily at 0200. The plists look as I would expect as a result.

4. So far, the behavior is as expected - no random backup seen. I will know for sure when I get up tomorrow morning, and see that exactly one backup occurred at 0200 (hopefully).
Old 09-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
gmason
Triple-A Player

Thought I should check one more time tonight - good news and bad news:

Bad news - it did another backup which I didn't expect it to.

Good news - it was much faster than it has been.

I suspect that the issue may be with the default StartOnMount parameter. That's for tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
gmason
Triple-A Player

This has become just a little confusing.

The once a day at 0200 backup occurred, but a little strangely. I woke the computer (via the Energy Saver System Preference) at 0158 for an 0200 backup the way I always did before 10.6. A backup started between then and 0200, and then the 0200 also started, but didn't continue, because it was less than ten minutes after the last backup occurred according to the log.

Then I logged on at around 0500, and next thing I know, another backup started. I stopped and trashed that one, but it looks to me like the computer awakening actually triggered TM to perform a backup. I know there are things in the plists seemingly relating to that capability, but they are all set to false as far as I can tell.

So, does anyone know of a document that details - to a very low level - how TM works, and/or what the various things in the plists really mean/do? Or any clues to how a backup is triggered by the computer waking up?

And lastly, a pretty simple question: does TM have to be set to on in its UI for any backups to happen?

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
rgray
Major Leaguer

See http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...90122063202910.

Backups can be run manually with TM turned off.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #15
gmason
Triple-A Player

Thanks. I really meant backups from the plists while the UI was turned off. I find a lot of notes around that imply this is possible. On the whole, this is not the best documented piece of SW I ever saw.

But as a Mac loyalist from 1984 on, I will just keep on keepin' on and looking for answers.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:09 AM   #16
gmason
Triple-A Player

Voila!

TM turned off at the UI. One backup at the scheduled time. No backup started when machine wakes up.

Bob IS your uncle.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #17
gmason
Triple-A Player

Oooops. While TM didn't try a backup when the system awoke, it did attempt one when the system was rebooted. I guess that is today's task.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #18
gmason
Triple-A Player

It happened again this morning. Interesting that it only happens after a boot/restart. But most interesting is that it only does it once a day that way. Later restarts the same day do not cause a backup.

Question: does anyone know what <key>EnableTransactions</key> means exactly in a TM plist? Does it disable the plist completely? ???

Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: