Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 11-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
ron2you
Prospect

Importing 8mm DV to iMovie - video stutters/erratic with no audio

MBP running 10.5.5 w/4G RAM connected via 1394/firewire to Sony DCR-TRV260 importing from Hi8 media DV-NTSC video capture in iMovie HD (6.0.3)...

playback on video camera looks/sounds fine.

capture in iMovie has no audio and playback looks erratic; like it is a little bit fast.

anyone seen this before and know how to remedy?

thanks
-ron
ron2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
ron2you
Prospect

ok...tried another tape and works ok. must be the media. listening again to the playback on the camcorder, the audio has a sort of robotic overtone to it...must be some corruption on the tape. anyone seen this before? suggestions on repairing the data on the tape ? -ron
Old 11-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
ron2you
Prospect

another update...after burning a dozen dvd's from my 8mm tapes...took a break to entertain Thanksgiving Day guests...then started up again and had more tapes with the strange robotic playback on the Sony DCR-TRV260 and no sound plus erratic video on within iMovie (still using 6.0.3 not '08)...even a tape that I successfully copied and burned to DVD was misbehaving!

So, couldn't be media...it is definitely the camera that is acting up. So, lightly hit the camera on the side a few times and tried again...guess what? That worked...robotic audio and erratic video went away!!!

Ok...so now I'm done with the 18 tapes from my digital camera...on to the 8mm analog camera with (gasp!) only composite output. Picked up a pinnacle studio moviebox which isn't supposed to work with the mac...and it doesn't! Need their software to control the external capture device which is only written for MSFT. On to find another idea for the analog 8mm (and later the VHS tapes...). -ron
Old 11-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
macosnoob
MVP

Instead of the Pinnacle (or its replacement), have you tried to use the Sony DCR-TRV260 as a bridge device between the Hi-8 analog camera's composite out and the Mac's FireWire port?
macosnoob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, erratic video, imovie, no sound, video

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: