Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 09-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
wendyrose04
Prospect

stuck on grey screen, now in single user mode

Hey all!

My iMAC (g5) is stuck on the grey screen with the apple.

I tried re-setting the pram (chimed twice, still won't get past grey screen) and I also unplugged everything (including keyboard/mouse).

I went into single user mode (apple + s) and ran /sbin/fsck -fy and it ran through a checklist. This then popped up:

**checking catalog files
disk0s2:0xe0030005 (undefined)
invalid node structure
4, 14023
**volume check failed
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) excited with signal 8

I ran the /sbin/fsck -fy again and in place of "invalid node structure" it said "invalid key length"

Whenever I run /sbin/fsck -fy it alternates "invalid node structure" and "invalid key length"

Any ideas?

Also -- I am in plugging the computer into a Korean outlet (I recently moved to Korea). I was told by the APPLE store that the computer had a converter in it and it should work with the voltage difference. I have an adapter (obviously) to be able to plug it in.

I don't see a white box or anything to convert the voltage manually, so I assumed it was inside of the computer and did it automatically.

Could the voltage be the issue and I just need a converter?

Help!
wendyrose04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyrose04
I went into single user mode (apple + s) and ran /sbin/fsck -fy and it ran through a checklist. This then popped up:

**checking catalog files
disk0s2:0xe0030005 (undefined)
invalid node structure
4, 14023
**volume check failed
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) excited with signal 8

I ran the /sbin/fsck -fy again and in place of "invalid node structure" it said "invalid key length"

Whenever I run /sbin/fsck -fy it alternates "invalid node structure" and "invalid key length"

It sounds like your filesystem has been corrupted in a way that 'fsck' cannot fix.
There is a possibility that more powerful disk utilities can fix this - e.g. "DiskWarrior".
Otherwise, you should backup all your files (e.g. via "target disk mode"), erase your disk, and reinstall.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
trevor

Quote:
Also -- I am in plugging the computer into a Korean outlet (I recently moved to Korea). I was told by the APPLE store that the computer had a converter in it and it should work with the voltage difference. I have an adapter (obviously) to be able to plug it in.

I don't see a white box or anything to convert the voltage manually, so I assumed it was inside of the computer and did it automatically.

Could the voltage be the issue and I just need a converter?

Many iMacs include switching power supplies, which can automatically handle voltage ranges that are found across the world. A very few, however, are sold with power supplies that are specific to a few countries. Apple's page that mentions various models of iMac G5 is found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1981

Find your model of iMac G5, and check to see whether it has a switching power supply or one specific to some countries.

If you do have a switching power supply, you should NOT use a convertor which is also a transformer for converting voltage. You can use a plug convertor, which ONLY converts the plug styles, but not one that also converts voltage.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
wendyrose04
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayne
It sounds like your filesystem has been corrupted in a way that 'fsck' cannot fix.
There is a possibility that more powerful disk utilities can fix this - e.g. "DiskWarrior".
Otherwise, you should backup all your files (e.g. via "target disk mode"), erase your disk, and reinstall.

Where do I get "disk warrior"?

I don't have all of my backupfiles with me. They are stored in a facility (i wasn't thinking, clearly!) and I have no access to them....what to do?

Also, according to the APPLE website link the previous poster provided, my iMAC G5 has

"Auto-Switching EXCEPT models sold in the US, Canada, and Japan (these models support 100-127 V AC)"

Should I buy a converter?

It's also possible that I have the Apple G5 isight - my MAC has the camera built in...does that mean I have the isight? I'm sorry, I don't know! I'm kind of techtarded.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
wendyrose04
Prospect

Install Disk - Can I use someone elses?

My mac is on the grey screen with the rotating disk and will not boot up all the way. After calling Apple Support and trying numerous things on my own, the conclusion is that I must re-install the software.

Problem: I've moved to Korea and do not have my disk with me. Also, the disk is locked away in storage and I have no access to it.

As a result, I need to purchase NEW software. Here is my question:
a.) Can I use someone else's if they have the same computer (this is ideal considering I don't speak Korean and traveling around is difficult).
b.) If not, how much does it cost to repurchase the install software? Can I have it purchased in the US and have someone send it to me?

Lastly, is there ANY WAY to save my files, pictures, etc. even though there is not another Mac computer in SIGHT?

Your help is appreciated.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Where do I get "disk warrior"?

You need to buy it - see: http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html
Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
My mac is on the grey screen with the rotating disk and will not boot up all the way. After calling Apple Support and trying numerous things on my own, the conclusion is that I must re-install the software.

I'd try DiskWarrior before doing that.

But if you want to pursue that route (re-installing), you could use someone else's OS X CD/DVD as long as it is either:
- the retail version of the CD/DVD (purchased separately, not the one that came with a new Mac)
- the one that came with a new Mac that is exactly the same model as yours.

And one way to backup your files (before re-installing OS X on your Mac) would be to purchase an external drive and install OS X on that, then boot from the external drive and copy the files from your internal disk to the external.

By the way, I merged your latest post into this thread since it is all the same topic.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
wendyrose04
Prospect

Will the diskwarrior work even if my computer is stuck on the grey screen? I'm very low on funds right now and I don't want to buy a $100 CD that is worthless, you know?

How do I even get it into my computer if my computer won't accept CD's since it's on the grey screen?

Sorry, I'm bad at this.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
Tomcatpz
Prospect

Hard to say if it will be successful. However, Disk Warrior is an excellent utility and well worth the $$. You boot from the DiskWarrior CD...
Tomcatpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #10
wendyrose04
Prospect

Update:

Now I was able to run the hardware test (booted the computer holding d) and it did find a problem.

(unfortunately, I'm in a computer lab away from home and forgot to bring the paper that i wrote the error on).

So it looks like I have a hardware problem...is diskwarrior even something I should consider (since it fixes disks, not the hd)?
Old 10-04-2008, 03:04 AM   #11
wendyrose04
Prospect

oh, and by the way - I never inserted the install disk/dvd/cd whatever (because I don't have it)...I just pushed option+d to run the test and the test ran. It took about 45 minutes to run.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
trevor

Quote:
So it looks like I have a hardware problem...is diskwarrior even something I should consider (since it fixes disks, not the hd)?

DiskWarrior fixes the filesystem on hard drives. Or hard disks if you prefer to call them that. disk = hard drive. It does not fix hardware problems.

You mention that you ran "the hardware test" (which one? Booting a computer holding down "D" is not a well-known startup command, but after Googling it apparently it forces the first internal hard drive to be the startup disk. Unless you have some special software installed--perhaps Tech Tool Pro? on that partition, that doesn't do what you say.), but have not told us what it reported.

We need to know what this hardware test reported, or we can't really give further advice. And knowing WHAT hardware test it is would be extremely helpful, too.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #13
wendyrose04
Prospect

I will tell you what all this is in the next 48 hours. I have my computer at work (I'm in an internet cafe) and won't have access to it until Monday (that's Sunday night US time. Korea is 13 hours ahead of EST).

All I can say now is that I started up the computer holding command + D which gave me the option to run a hardware test. I chose the extensive hardware test which took apprx. 45 minutes. There was 1 error reported and I don't have the paper I wrote it on at the moment.

I am going to download a free trial of the diskwarrior 4.1 and give it a shot. I'm about to pull all my hair out.

You'd think that Korea of all places (so technologically advanced) would use Apple here, but no. Not only does hardly anyone speak a lick of English, there are only 2 Apple stores in the whole country. Surely you can imagine my frustration.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
wendyrose04
Prospect

Okay - I did as I said before (booted up computer and immediately held the D key down. I began the hardware test).

However - I noticed that on the Apple website it says that in order to do this you must have the apple software in (cd 1). I did not because I don't have the CD (as I explained earlier).

Anyway, I ran the extensive test and this error popped up:

4HDD/11/40000004:SATA (0,0)

Again, I have the Intel 2 Core Duo, SMC Version 1.20F4
Old 10-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Anyway, I ran the extensive test and this error popped up:

4HDD/11/40000004:SATA (0,0)

I have no special knowledge about the hardware test codes, but the reference to "HDD" and "SATA" in that error code would seem to indicate that there is a hardware problem with your hard drive or the associated electronics.

I'd recommend getting a backup of your files (using an external disk or someone else's Mac) before doing anything else. But it may not be possible if the drive is failing.

Note that hardware repair facilities don't usually backup your data when replacing drives etc. You need to either ask them to do this (and often pay extra) or (preferably) have done it yourself before taking it in for service.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #16
wendyrose04
Prospect

thanks Hayne.

I called Apple support and they told me it is definitely a hardware problem. I'm going to call them back and do a few diagnostic tests with them to figure out the exact problem...then it looks like I'll be taking my iMAC on nice trip to Seoul.

Which leads me to another issue: I have to take the city bus and subway to get to the (1 of 2) Apple store. I don't have an ilugger or anything like it...ugh!

Foreign countries can be too complicated sometimes!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: