Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 02-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
dennisb23
Prospect

iMac G5 starts up, but get spinning beach ball

Hello everybody. I have an Imac G5, and I'm running 10.4 on it and starting tonight when I start my machine I get my wallpaper background to load, with the dock, but no folders appear and all I see is the dreaded spinning beachball and it just continues to spin. What should I do? Please help. Thanks.

Dennis
dennisb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

Restart your Mac in Safe mode (Hold the Shift key) and once Finder comes up, take a look at the Console (Applications -> Utilities -> Console) and take a look at the period of time the startup froze. It should give you an idea of what got stuck.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
dennisb23
Prospect

My computer won't even start in safe mode. I hold the shift key down, get to the grey screen and that circular scrolling icon comes up then the screen goes to black and the computer shuts off.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
dennisb23
Prospect

Ok, after the 10th time of restarting, my computer slowly loaded just the HD icon on the desktop and I managed to gain control of going through menus, however none of my folders have appeared on the desktop. And, when I did as you said and went into the console function it said my local server failed. What could have happened?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
mimsw
Prospect

me too. My machine is set to receive and autoinstall updates. Have we had an upgrade today that I'm not aware of. Machine worked fine all day. When I restarted at 5:30, it went haywire. Techtool on firewire drive finds absolutely nothing wrong. I'm stumped. Have tried to startup with Shift key down, but after 10 minutes, nothing! Any ideas?

Mimsw
mimsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
mimsw
Prospect

ok. I shut the machine down again and tried to start with the Shift key again. This time it worked. I'm still not sure what exactly was wrong with it, but I disabled all of my startup programs and everything loaded fine. So, I'll just work with it this way.

Thanks
mimsw
mimsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

Do a search on Apple's Support section for the process to reset your specific Mac's PMU (or whatever it's called for your Mac). The problem could be as simple as that.

BTW: I have a client that was having the same issue right after installing the 10.5.2 update. It turned out that a drive he had just installed was causing a bus error. Reinitializing the drive again cured his problem.

-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #8
dennisb23
Prospect

Thankfully, my computer is slowly coming back to life. It didn't take 20 minutes to "start" this time, but I no longer have any folders on my desktop and if I go to my finder and navigate to my folders, my applications "folder" is blank under the list of folders, but if I click on Applications on the left side bar my programs are there. Strange stuff.

And, I went into my console and got the following error like a dozen times upon start-up:

Feb 16 01:16:37 dennis-bakays-imac-g5 mdimportserver[222]: *** Failed to decode 7-bit data, treating as binary

What could all of this mean?
Old 02-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

With the Applications folder (that contains your applications) open; Click and hold the folder icon in the title bar until it turns dark. Drag it directly to your hard disk and instruct the dialog to replace the "newer item." This will restore your Applications folder to where it belongs.

Your problem is that the Applications folder was (probably accidentally) moved into a different folder from where it belongs. If the folder is moved or missing, OS X will automatically replace it with an empty folder.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: