Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 11-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
MacCrack
Prospect

Angry Can't change mouse double click settings

This is really weird. On my new Mac Pro with OS X 10.4.8 it seems not to be possible to change the settings for the double click speed. I can change it in System Prefs as often I want, the setting is somehow stuck on slow. I can move the slider, but it has no effect. also double clicking in the test field below the slider doesn't work as it should.

It's driving me mad, because I continuously open documents without wanting it. For example, when I click on a document and click a second time to change its name, it always opens. I'd have to wait VERY long before the second click to prevent that.

I have no mouse drivers installed and tried with two different mice. Also I've already defined a second user, there I have exactly the same problem. I've tried to trash preferences (.GlobalPreferences in ~/Library/Preferences) with no success.

The other settings in System Prefs (for example settings for Keyboard or mouse tracking speed) work normally.

I hope one of the Super Gurus here can help me...
MacCrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
trevor

Create a brand new user on the system. Does that user show the same problem?

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:54 AM   #3
MacCrack
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
Create a brand new user on the system. Does that user show the same problem?

Yes. Exactly the same.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
MacCrack
Prospect

Fixed!

Next thing I tried was to repair permissions, didn't fix it.

Afterwards I installed the newest EFI Firmware Update 1.1, and this fixed it! Now everything works as it should! I'm happy again.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
weborican
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrack
Next thing I tried was to repair permissions, didn't fix it.

Afterwards I installed the newest EFI Firmware Update 1.1, and this fixed it! Now everything works as it should! I'm happy again.

Finally, somebody else experiencing the same problem! I have been experiencing this for a long time now, but I'm have still not been able to resolve it.

I have done 2 EFI Firmware updates since then (1.1 and now 1.2) on my 15" MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz, and have reset both the PRAM and the PMU. The problem goes away for a little bit after a reboot, but at some point it all goes back to the same slow double-click speed. After that happens only a reboot fixes things...if only temporarily.

This is driving me absolutely nuts! Does anyone have any other suggestions?

MacCrack, was your fix permanent or did it go back to the slow double-click speed shortly after your EFI Firmware update?
weborican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
MacCrack
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by weborican

MacCrack, was your fix permanent or did it go back to the slow double-click speed shortly after your EFI Firmware update?

no, unfortunately the fix wasn't permanent! Exactly as you describe it, for a while it was OK but then it started again to be slow. Now I'm waiting for the 10.4.9 Upgrade...

So it doesn't seem to be machine related since you have it on a MacBook Pro and I on a Mac Pro. Maybe Intel related...

BTW in the discussion forums of Apple I found another person who has the same problem, still unsolved too.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
weborican
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrack
no, unfortunately the fix wasn't permanent! Exactly as you describe it, for a while it was OK but then it started again to be slow. Now I'm waiting for the 10.4.9 Upgrade...

So it doesn't seem to be machine related since you have it on a MacBook Pro and I on a Mac Pro. Maybe Intel related...

BTW in the discussion forums of Apple I found another person who has the same problem, still unsolved too.

Can you provide a link to that Apple forum discussion?

It must be something we have installed at the system level since it crosses over to new users we create on the same machine. I am going to send you my Apple System Profile data file for you to look over, and if it isn't too much trouble I'd like to see yours as well. Maybe we can find what it is we both have installed that might be causing this problem.

Glancing over at my Software -> Extensions pane I see the following extensions that are not a normal occurence:

hypervisor - 2.2 (Parallels)
LittleSnitch - 1.2.61
MacallyICEKBDriver - 1.0.0
speedit - 0.32
USBOverdrive - 10.4.5
vmmain - 2.2 (Parallels)

Do you have any of those installed as well?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 PM   #8
weborican
Prospect

Quote:
MacallyICEKBDriver - 1.0.0

OK, I have found the culprit on my system! Looks like the MacallyICEKBDriver has been the cause of all my problems. I have uninstalled it and tomorrow I'm calling MacAlly as soon as possible.

Let me guess MacCrack, you also have a MacAlly ICE keyboard and this extension loaded...right?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:27 AM   #9
MacCrack
Prospect

Quote:
OK, I have found the culprit on my system! Looks like the MacallyICEKBDriver has been the cause of all my problems. I have uninstalled it and tomorrow I'm calling MacAlly as soon as possible.

Let me guess MacCrack, you also have a MacAlly ICE keyboard and this extension loaded...right?

Yes, I have! Now I've uninstalled it and restarted, and now everything works fine! That's great, weborican, thanks a lot for your perseverance. I've already given up...

the mentioned post in the Apple discussion forum is here: http://discussions.apple.com/message...sageID=3568793

I will post there as soon as I can be sure the fix is permanent (tomorrow or so).

Last edited by MacCrack; 11-22-2006 at 06:30 AM. Reason: URL fixed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: