Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > UNIX - General

Old 12-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
johnny_b
Triple-A Player

Angry Bug in softwareupdate from cron

Hello. When I run softwareupdate from cron on all my lab machines the update always hang up, the updateprocess just stays like that for days. But when I do it from the terminal myself, it works. I've taken a "snapshot" of where I hangs with "ps"

Code:
  797 su
  796 /usr/bin/su -c "/tmp/0/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/iTunesX.pkg/Contents/Resources/InstallHelper" /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app
  795 sh /tmp/0/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/iTunesX.pkg/Contents/Resources/preinstall /tmp/0/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/iTunesX.pkg / / /
  688 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Installation.framework/Resources/runner
  683 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Resources/DiskManagementTool -uuid EFC86EFA-66A7-11DA-AE5F-000D9341FF66
  682 /usr/sbin/softwareupdate -i -a
So I think this is kinda strange ? When in no active tty (??, right way to say i t ?) it stops and stays there, at iTunesX.pkg's preinstall script. I've also included that script here:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ -e "$3/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Plug-ins" ] ; then
	/bin/rm -rf "$3/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Plug-ins" 2> /dev/null
fi

if [ -e "$3/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj" ] ; then
	/bin/rm -rf "$3/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj" 2> /dev/null
fi

if [ -e "$3/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj" ] ; then
	/bin/rm -rf "$3/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj" 2> /dev/null
fi

/usr/bin/su $USER -c "\"$PACKAGE_PATH/Contents/Resources/InstallHelper\" /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app" 2> /dev/null
"$PACKAGE_PATH/Contents/Resources/InstallHelper" 2> /dev/null

/usr/bin/su $USER -c "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iTunesHelper FreshInstall 1" 2 > /dev/null

exit 0
I would be VERY glad if someone could tell me what is going on ? And why this happens ?

I launch the update like this:
Code:
COMMAND_LINE_INSTALL=1; export COMMAND_LINE_INSTALL; /usr/sbin/softwareupdate -i -a

Also tried without the Bash variables above.

Last edited by johnny_b; 12-07-2005 at 09:57 AM.
johnny_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

Maybe this is related to the fact that iTunes installs ask you to agree to a license?
hayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
johnny_b
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayne
Maybe this is related to the fact that iTunes installs ask you to agree to a license?

It doesn't do that when I am using the terminal. Everything goes nice then without me doing anything. Not pushing enter to agree, or nothing.

And yeah. It didn't use to behave like that. It's only with the new iTunes...

Last edited by johnny_b; 12-07-2005 at 12:02 PM.
johnny_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: