Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
zimlander

Unhappy Copy Command mapped to Shift S

I am having trouble with making a capitol s. Some how I mapped the copy command to shift + s. The regular command + s still works but also the shift + s. I have looked under system preferences -> keyboard/mouse -> keyboard shortcuts but didn't find anything under there. If I login as another user the capitol s works fine. I have also tried another keyboard and it doesn't work in the "defective" user. Both keyboards work fine on other machines just not the "defective" users profile. Where can I find where the shift + s got mapped to copy? I have look at the other forums and found that someone else had the speech command mapped to shift + s but I checked that and it is not the case here. Please Help. You don't realize how many sentences start with s.
zimlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

I'm not sure, but I think the keyboard shortcuts are stored in the file "com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist" which is in the folder ~/Library/Preferences
( ~ = your home folder)

So try moving that file to the Desktop and then logging out and in again.
A default version of that file should have been created in the folder ~/Library/Preferences
Does that fix your problem?
If not, you can move that file back into the folder ~/Library/Preferences
Old 03-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
fazstp
MVP

Is this system wide or in specific applications?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Take a look in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts to see if any of the commands are mapped to Command-S (⌘S).

Hayne may be correct that some keyboard shortcuts are stored in com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist, but I discovered from a Safari 4 crash which necessitated a deletion of my Safari preferences file that some custom keyboard shortcuts I had created with System Preferences were gone when a new preferences file was created.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copy, keyboard, map, shift, shortcuts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: