Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 04-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
zaja

Error transfering video files from drive FAT32 to MAC OS Ext.

Hi,
I had lots of video files in an old FAT32 drive and I copied to a new one formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in order to reformat the old one.

Because of the limited file size in FAT32, all the big video files I had created directly onto the old drive, where converted in 3 files (two with the extension -av1 or 2 and the third one with the extension mov (but dependant from the other ones).
Now, on the new drive, although these files still extist (with the same old size), I can't open them.

As well, they were created in pc and now I'm working in a g5.

Can someone help me to open/recover my files?

thanks a lot!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

It sounds like you were using some video-editing app on the PC that had a special feature to split up the files like that.
It might be that the files were simply cut apart at the right length (max length for FAT) with no additional data added to them. In that case, you should be able to combine the files back together again on your Mac with a command (in a Terminal window) like:

cat myfile.av1 myfile.av2 myfile.mov > myfilecombined.mov

where obviously you would use the actual names of the files instead of "myfile".
"Terminal" is an application under /Applications/Utilities

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: