Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 07-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
cannonball
Prospect

Question help with apps: stuffit, popcorn, vlc

hi. im a relatively new mac user, and i really am confused as to how the following apps work.

STUFFIT: i have the deluxe, expander, dropstuff, express, sea maker. but really, i just need the one that will "expand" my usual dmg, sit, sitx, rar, zip, gz, etc. for me. i also like the renaming+changing extension=file type conversion feature. can anyone tell me which specific stuffit product i need?

POPCORN: i have toast--so im assuming that would do the burning for me. what do i need popcorn for? i may want to occassionally have copies of my dvds in my laptop--can i actually use popcorn for this? (coz i never really got to figure it out ) --- but i also have handbrake--what is the difference? i also like to note i have dvdremaster and compression master installed--what exactly are those for? --- and is there any way to play rmvb (real player files) without having to install real? or any software you may suggest to convert rmvb to any other file type?

VLC: okay, i want to keep VLC. but i want to delete windows media player. will VLC be able to play media player files? (i know about the whole flip4mac thing--but dont want to go through the troouble of converting.)

PLEASE HELP ME. KEEP IN MIND. IM A NEWBIE.

EXTRAS... any software you can suggest to help me with keeping notes? (school notes, that is...) something like microsoft word notebook style but with a better-looking interface..?

Last edited by cannonball; 07-20-2006 at 10:52 AM.
cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
nino
Triple-A Player

stuffit expander is the one that opens the sit files. somewhere on these forums in the last week or so there was a thread that bagged stuffit as being no longer useful. OS X handles dmg, gz, and zip files on its own.

get flip4mac [www.flip4mac.com]. it lets quicktime play wmv files so you can get rid of windows media player. it's simple to install...what do you mean about the trouble of "converting"? quicktime is part of OS X anyway, so adding flip4mac is trivial. I think VLC plays some but not all wmv files, but I haven't come across any that quicktime with flip4mac can't play. and I took great pleasure in being able to remove a program with the word "windows" in its name from my mac after I installed flip4mac (but I still quite like MS Word).

dunno about popcorn. isn't handbrake for pirating stuff? for me, dvd prices get low enough a year or so after the initial release that I much prefer to buy the real thing rather than go to all the hassle of ripping a copy...

for keeping notes, are you just looking for a cheap word processor? if so, you could try NeoOffice (www.neooffice.org). big download, but contains a full-featured word processor and free.
nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
cannonball
Prospect

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino
stuffit expander is the one that opens the sit files. somewhere on these forums in the last week or so there was a thread that bagged stuffit as being no longer useful. OS X handles dmg, gz, and zip files on its own.

get flip4mac [www.flip4mac.com]. it lets quicktime play wmv files so you can get rid of windows media player. it's simple to install...what do you mean about the trouble of "converting"? quicktime is part of OS X anyway, so adding flip4mac is trivial. I think VLC plays some but not all wmv files, but I haven't come across any that quicktime with flip4mac can't play. and I took great pleasure in being able to remove a program with the word "windows" in its name from my mac after I installed flip4mac (but I still quite like MS Word).

dunno about popcorn. isn't handbrake for pirating stuff? for me, dvd prices get low enough a year or so after the initial release that I much prefer to buy the real thing rather than go to all the hassle of ripping a copy...

for keeping notes, are you just looking for a cheap word processor? if so, you could try NeoOffice (www.neooffice.org). big download, but contains a full-featured word processor and free.

thanks for the quick reply.

+so having stuffit expander will be enough so to speak? i will be able to expand downloads even if i just have that? (safe to say, appzapping stuffit dropstuff, stuffit sea maker, stuffit deluxe, etc. will be fine?)

+ i take pleasure in trashing apps with "windows" in their name too ... damn, i never knew flip4mac works like a plugin?!?! so after installing flip, quicktime will pretty much do the work for me? meaning, i wont have to convert from wmv to avi?

+i havent actually tried using handbrake. i just downloaded it a couple of minutes ago but it might come in handy when travelling. anyone knows if having popcorn will make handbrake, dvdremaster obsolete?

+no, im not looking for a cheaper word processor. i have ms office in my tiger now. but i want a program very very similar to ms word NOTEBOOK STYLE but with a more mac-like interface. ive read macjournal and notae might be what i need--still experimenting right now, though. anyone with better suggestions?
cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
nino
Triple-A Player

1. Yep, having stuffit expander is all you'll need...in since 10.1, I've never needed anything beyond expander and the system itself.

2. Yep, you don't have to convert wmv to avi, quicktime with flip4mac plays the wmv directly.
nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

StuffIt is only good for converting StuffIt files to something that doesn't require StuffIt anymore.
"WITTY QUOTE"
Mikey-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Yep, having stuffit expander is all you'll need

This is the kind of attitude that tells site owners that it's okay to distribute .sit files in 2006.

My computer didn't come with Expander. No Mac today does, in fact. Instead, we got standard stuff that is really very nice. (Disk images, zip files, packages.) I'm not installing Allume's crap because some random site can't get with the times. StuffIt is an awful method of software distribution.
"WITTY QUOTE"
Old 07-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
tatilsever
Triple-A Player

Handbrake converts DVDs onto your harddisk in mpeg4 format as long as DVD is coded with the right region code. I don't think Toast would break the encryption on a DVD, so you won't be able to copy commercial DVDs with Toast. If you want to keep copies of a few DVDs that you own on your harddisk while traveling, Handbrake is useful. However, if you want to make backups, then MacTheRipper to remove the encryption and Toast to make a copy of it on a blank DVD is the best method I know of.

I have used the free Stuffit Expander a few times to decompress some icon files I have downloaded. I think some Microsoft utility apps for Mac still come in that format as well. However, I agree, software distributors should get with the times, there are all kinds of compression methods built into OSX, Windows and Unix.

VLC is more user friendly in some instances compared to Quicktime, so I keep it around. For wmv files, flip4mac is a better option and it will be even better once Universal version comes out.

In terms of a more Mac like word processor, how about "Pages"? If that's too pricey and have more features than you need, I really like "Smultron" as a text editor and more.

Last edited by tatilsever; 07-20-2006 at 03:59 PM.
tatilsever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

If he wants a good Mac-like word processor, he should check out Nisus Writer Express. If he wants a journal app, he should spin MacJournal or perhaps this:

http://journler.phildow.net/

I've been a MacJournal user for a while, but this is blowing my socks off.
"WITTY QUOTE"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: