Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > AppleScript

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
osxpounder
Major Leaguer

Automatically back up every file saved to this folder

Here's the problem, in case it inspires a better solution:

I use a program called Enigma to save settings for a musical instrument. If I want to delete one of the presets, just to unclutter the window's long list, the program actually deletes the saved file on the hard drive without warning. This has hurt me in the past. There's no way to get items out of that list except that single delete function, which zaps the saved file.

The result I want: I want to delete presets, in Enigma, without losing their saved files. I keep forgetting that Enigma is the one app I have that does this to me. I need protection.

I think a folder action might help, but my attempts fail. I tried making a script that does this:
  • detect new item
  • duplicate new item (that way, even if the file later gets deleted, the duplicate will still be there. Clever, no?)

... but that ran in a loop, as each copy it made re-triggered the folder action.

I tried writing a script that duplicates the file to a different folder, but it's not working.

Rather than ask you to debug my horrible script, I ask for a script, or ideas, from you. They're bound to be better than my cut&paste scripting. I really am not good at this sort of thing.

All this is on a laptop that doesn't get hooked to the Time Machine drive very often, so attaching a Time Machine isn't an option.

Ideas? A script that'll auto-backup any new file saved to a certain folder would be swell, I think, but I'm open to other ideas.
osxpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
renaultssoftware
MVP

Making a Folder Action in Automator is very easy. You choose that template from Automator on launch (assuming it's 10.6 you're using). The one Automator action you're looking to use is Copy Finder Items, where you can change the destination folder.

If you're using 10.4 or 10.5, I can write you an AppleScript instead.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
osxpounder
Major Leaguer

Ach, I should have mentioned I'm on 10.5

Ach, I should have mentioned I'm on 10.5.

Very kind offer. I would appreciate an Applescript so much. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
tw
Hall of Famer

actually, the easiest way to do this is to set up a launchd job that runs rsync on the folder once or twice a day. take the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>user.rsyncbackup.folder</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>rsync</string>
		<string>-a</string>
		<string>/Path/to/folderToBackup/</string>
		<string>/Path/to/newLocation/</string>
	</array>
	<key>StartCalendarInterval</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Hour</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>Minute</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>
and save it at ~/Library/LaunchAgents/user.rsyncbackup.folder.plist. After a restart.,this plist should get launchd to copy everything in the backup folder to the save folder at midnight every day (or at the first rewake after midnight). it's very efficient after the first run, basically invisible, and should preserve everything until you delete them from the backup folder.

I'd also drop a note to the developers about un-Mac-like behavior, but...

Last edited by tw; 01-17-2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: duplicate
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
osxpounder
Major Leaguer

Thanks, tw, but once or twice a day won't solve the prob.

The prob is that the app deletes a file, but nothing about the interface tells me it's deleting a file, so it's too easy to forget and accidentally delete the work I just did. Once the file's deleted, it's gone (it doesn't even move the file to the Trash). No undo available.

What I need is automatic protection from this. Like, to automatically copy every new file, within a minute or two of its creation. Later, when I once again realize I deleted a stinking file, I'll have a backup of it. Since we already have a script that alerts us when a new file is put into a folder, I hope we can use a script to copy that new file. I don't care where it goes as long as it gets copied soon after it's created or re-saved.

The problem app, Enigma, is for editing settings in a few MIDI controllers I use. I use it on a laptop running OSX 10.5.8, and it's not hooked up to a Time Machine when I'm working with Enigma. I'll use this app maybe once in a couple of months; it's too easy to forget that only this app breaks some basic rules of interface design and permanently deletes an actual file, the only file, instead of removing an item from an on-screen list of settings (which is what a user would expect).

I did tell the app developers about the prob, as did other users. They've known of the problem since 2006, if not earlier. Just not a priority for them, I guess.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
renaultssoftware
MVP

What you could do is set something to watch the path (tw can tell us how to do it the Unix way) and then rsync to another folder.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
osxpounder
Major Leaguer

I see what you mean. That's along the lines I was thinking, at least the part about 'watch the path.' I put the classic "add - new item.scpt" on my Downloads, Applications and Public folders, on my desktop Mac, and I modified those to make the dialog box go away in 30 secs. That much, I could do.

What puzzles me is how to get the darn Applescript to copy the newly added file to some other location (or name). Really, just putting a copy in the same location, with " copy" added to its name, would be fine. It just isn't working when I try it.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
tw
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxpounder
I see what you mean. That's along the lines I was thinking, at least the part about 'watch the path.' I put the classic "add - new item.scpt" on my Downloads, Applications and Public folders, on my desktop Mac, and I modified those to make the dialog box go away in 30 secs. That much, I could do.

What puzzles me is how to get the darn Applescript to copy the newly added file to some other location (or name). Really, just putting a copy in the same location, with " copy" added to its name, would be fine. It just isn't working when I try it.

to copy a file, use the Finder's duplicate command:
Code:
tell application "Finder"
	set copyOfFile to duplicate file "Path:to:original" to "Path:to:copyfolder" with replacing
	set name of copyOfFile to newName -- omit this line if you want to use the same name
end tell
to set up the launchd job as a watchfolder, delete the StartCalendarInterval and its associated dictionary, and add a WatchPaths key, like so:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>user.rsyncbackup.folder</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>rsync</string>
		<string>-a</string>
		<string>/Path/to/newLocation/</string>
	</array>
	<key>WatchPaths</key>
	<array>
	</array>
</dict>
</plist>
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
osxpounder
Major Leaguer

Thanks. I think a Folder Action, using Applescript, is preferable, because I have better chance of understanding it in the future when it breaks.

I have a question about Applescript: How can I write the snippet, below, so that it uses relative paths instead of hard-coded file paths? If possible, I'd rather it said something like "create a copy of every file placed here, and put it in this same folder" or maybe "create a copy of every file placed here, and put it in the "auto-backups" within this same folder".

Here's the snippet:

Code:
(*
This is meant to be a Folder Action. This script should copy any file that appears in this folder.
*)

on adding folder items to ThisFolder after receiving added_items

try

tell application "Finder"
			set copyOfFile to duplicate added_items to "./autobackups" with replacing

(* set name of copyOfFile to newName -- omit this line if you want to use the same name *)

end tell

end try

end adding folder items to

Last edited by osxpounder; 01-29-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Tags
back up, back-up, delete, duplicate, folder actions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: