Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
anyafloris
Prospect

Information Overload!! USB External Hard Drive - Boot Powerbook G4 to 10.5

Hello there. I have been researching my brains out and I really need an expert opinion to sort out the mess.

I HAVE:
Powerbook G4 PPC (currently running 10.4.11) - able to run 10.5
Hitachi USB 2.0 1 TB External Hard Drive - completely new and blank.
A 10.5 Install DMG - Disk irretrievably lost, friend provided DMG. End of story.

I also have a Macbook available if anyone thinks that firewire target disk mode would be useful.

I would really like to boot 10.5 on the Powerbook from the External HD, but somehow I don't think it's as easy as formatting the Ex HD, restoring DMG to Ex HD, holding option on Powerbook boot-up and selecting Ex HD image to boot.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and let me know the best way to go about this. I'm running out of time since a relative just bought the Ex HD and agreed to let me use first.

Thank you so much.
anyafloris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
soho
Major Leaguer

You wont be able to boot the PPC from the Hitachi with the restored DMG cos as far as I know you can't boot a PPC running 10.4 in USB mode, only Firewire. So restore the 10.5 dmg to the Hitachi using the MacBook. Boot the MacBook from the Hitachi 10.5 system with the PPC connected in target mode, select the PPC HD to install 10.5.
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
appleman_design
Hall of Famer

"A 10.5 Install DMG - Disk irretrievably lost, friend provided DMG. End of story."
That is piracy and not condoned And Since you dont own the copy of 10.5 support is not a option here... :-(
appleman_design is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10.5, boot, external hard drive, powerbook, upgrade

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: