Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 12-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
alysser
Prospect

dock continuesly crashing

for the last two days i've been having alot of problems with my imac. i'm running leopard 10.5.8.

anyhow i started up to absolutely no dock and a generally slow system, got on google and started trying to repair things via suggestions to people having similar problems to no avail. i've tried killall on the dock, to repair disk permissions (i think i left my computer for about 4 hours in repair permissions but it never got past reading), i've tried taking out and replacing the dock.app files. one forum suggested i create a new account, which i did and it starts up fine.

now i'm at a loss because a. i don't know how to fix the problem, i also can't find my start up disk to repair anything, beyond that the system no longer will let me place files into my external hard drive. i can't get a hold of any write permissions (files and applications) on the new account i created (i would be happy to just transfer files from my old corrupt account to the new one), i have tried to do file sharing, to change permissions manually in get info but regardless i can not rewrite or edit files.

so i'm on my knees begging for help

Last edited by trevor; 12-14-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added white space
alysser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

Here's my generic prescription for user-specific problems:
----------------------------------
You have determined that the problem is only with the one user account.
The problem thus is almost certainly due to something under your home folder.
And it likely is something under ~/Library
( ~ = your home folder)
The most likely thing is a bad preference file under ~/Library/Preferences
You could start by removing the preference files for the apps you are having trouble with. (The names of preference files usually include the name of the app they are for.)
If the problem persists, you need to narrow the problem down - you could start by moving (via drag & drop) the whole "Preferences" folder that is under ~/Library to the Desktop, then log out and log in again. A default copy of the Preferences folder will have been recreated. Does that improve things? If so, you could use a divide & conquer approach to figure out which of the preference files is causing the problem - move half of the preference files back into the Preferences folder, log out & in again, etc.

If the problem persists, try the same thing with the other sub-folders of ~/Library. E.g. with ~/Library/Caches, ~/Library/InputManagers, ~/Library/Fonts, ~/Library/PreferencePanes, ~/Library/Application Support, ~/Library/Application Enhancers, ~/Library/Safari, ~/Library/LaunchAgents, ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data, contents of ~/Desktop, etc.
Also remove any files owned by your user in /Library/Caches (the Library folder at the top-level of the drive) or the sub-folders of /Library/Caches (e.g. the font caches under /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS)
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
Hal Itosis
Hall of Famer

@hayne:

Might need to update part of that generic prescription. Although the user's ~/Library/Preferences folder still contains some dock-related items...

com.apple.dock.plist
com.apple.dock.db

... the user's ~/Library/Caches folder no longer does. The cache for it (and a few other proggies) is now hidden below /var/folders/ somewhere.

In Terminal, wildcarded pathnames such as /var/folders/*/*/-Caches- (or the lesser-known "getconf DARWIN_USER_CACHE_DIR") can get us there, but Finder's "Go to Folder..." feature doesn't grok the asterisks. [So maybe just "go to" /var/folders and start poking around?]

@alysser:

Or... even Spotlight can actually find that hidden cache file (named "com.apple.dock.iconcache"), but we need to add some criteria to the search:

(System files) (include)

So start a name search (type command-shift-F) and paste "com.apple.dock" there... and then click on the tiny "(+)" button to add the (System files) (include) criteria.

I'm not sure that cache file is the actual problem here, but trashing it (along with the plist and the db file mentioned above) is one way to find out.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 12-14-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Hal Itosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, dock, leopard, permission, repair

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: