The macosxhints Forums

The macosxhints Forums (http://hintsforums.macworld.com/index.php)
-   System (http://hintsforums.macworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How to Disable Sliding Effect in Mavericks When Apps Shut Down (http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=169774)

OSXdude 11-04-2013 09:22 AM

How to Disable Sliding Effect in Mavericks When Apps Shut Down

I honestly don't know what Apple was thinking when it introduced the sliding effect in Mavericks.

I am talking about the effect that occurs when you shut down a program.

As far as I can tell, it serves absolutely no purpose.

In fact, I don't even think that it is cool-looking. To me, at least, it is annoying.

Having said that, does anyone know how to disable this feature?

Thanks in advance.

ganbustein 11-04-2013 02:59 PM

What "sliding effect" are you referring to? When I quit an app, it just quits. No fuss, no animation.

Are you perhaps using Spaces? When you quit the frontmost application, the app that was behind it becomes frontmost, and it's frontmost window becomes the active window. If that window is in a different space than the one you're on, there will be transition to its space. The transition between spaces is indeed a "sliding effect".

You can move between spaces by pressing control-rightArrow or control-leftArrow. There are other ways to move spaces, but this is a quick way to see what the transition looks like. If that's the transition you're talking about, you can minimize it by minimizing your use of Spaces. You used to be able to turn Spaces off completely, but not any more, because when an application goes "full screen", it creates and uses a brand new Space, and Spaces has to be enabled for that to happen.

But you can minimize the number of transitions by deleting spaces and/or moving your applications all to a single space. You do those in Mission Control. I'd tell you how, but OS X has a help system that will give you all the details, or you can just open Mission Control and play around. (Open /Applications/Mission Control.app, or use any of the convenient shortcuts to get there. To see what those shortcuts are, open System Preferences and look in Keyboard→Shortcuts or Trackpad→More Gestures or Mouse→More Gestures or Mission Control.) There's no way to eliminate the transition that happens when you quit a full-screen app, because the system needs to show you that that particular full screen is going away.

But none of this is new in Mavericks. Spaces has always worked this way. (Spaces was introduced in 10.5 Lopard, and Full Screen apps were introduced in 10.7 Lion. I'm not sure when we lost the ability to disable Spaces with a single checkbox. But like I say, you can use Mission Control to get down to a single Space plus whatever are being used by full-screen apps, which is the moral equivalent of disabling them.)

OSXdude 11-04-2013 05:03 PM

Hello ganbustein. Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Well, going by your description, I am guessing that the transition from one space to another is exactly what I am seeing. I have never turned on or used the Spaces feature -- I have no need for it -- and I have never seen it before, so I assumed that it was something that was newly introduced in Mavericks.

At any rate, I just did a bit of experimenting by launching and shutting down a number of the key programs that I use on my computer. Thus far, the latest version of VLC is the ONLY app I have encountered where the window slides to the left hand side of the screen. As I said, I find it annoying and unnecessary. More so, because it takes VLC 5-10 seconds to shut down this way AFTER I click on the "Quit" option under the "File" menu.

Anyway, I am assuming that VLC is probably one of those full-screen apps that you were talking about. I guess I will have to visit the VLC forum and see if there is a way to turn off that sliding effect for VLC only, since no other app is doing the sliding effect; not even Apple's default apps.

Thanks again for your input.

ganbustein 11-04-2013 10:42 PM

Click and hold on VLC's Dock icon. When the menu appears, select Options→(Assign To)→None. (Assign To) isn't really a menu option; what I mean is that "None" will appear below the words "Assign To", which will be grayed out. You probably currently have something else selected, something like "Desktop 2".

One of the ways you can use Spaces (which Apple calls "Desktops" now) is that you can assign specific apps to specific Spaces. You'll automatically be switched to the select Space whenever that application is made active. It sounds like you may have inadvertently done that.

I don't know why VLC should take so long to quit. It quits promptly for me.

OSXdude 11-04-2013 11:21 PM

Well, I don't know what kind of machine or device you are using, or what OS you are using, but when I either click and hold, or right click VLC's dock icon, under the Option submenu, there are only three options:

Remove from Dock
Open at login
Show in Finder

There is no "Assign to" and no "None".

I am using VLC 2.1.0 on Mavericks.

Anyway, it occurred to me that maybe I wasn't seeing what you mention because VLC has been in my dock a long time, even after a few VLC updates perhaps. So, I chose "Option" and "Remove from Dock". Then I relaunched VLC again and again chose "Keep in Dock".

However, doing these things didn't help. In fact, this time, VLC took almost a full minute to shut down after I hit "Quit" in the menu.

So I am not sure where you are seeing "Assign to" and "None".

hayne 11-05-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSXdude (Post 723019)
when I either click and hold, or right click VLC's dock icon, under the Option submenu, there are only three options:

Remove from Dock
Open at login
Show in Finder

There is no "Assign to" and no "None".

I think that is because you only have the one "Desktop" space. The "Assign to" menu in "Options" only appears if you have more than one Space.