PDA

View Full Version : G4 MD: dead?

maxoriano
01-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Hi all, thisis my first post here.
2 days ago I noticed a weird behaviour in my Mac G4 Mirror Drive 1GHz DP. Starting it up, it would boot and show me a msg: date and time incorrect. Hard to believe, since I'm connected to the net and date is automatically set.
Then I noticed that some pages wouldn't open, on Safari. Finally, IRCle wouldn't connect at all. All this while I still was able to access most of the pages on internet.
Yesterday evening things got worse. I finally switched my loyal Mac off and since then it won't restart. When I push the power button, it only lights up for a fraction of second. On the motherboard, just for the same fraction of a second, a small red light will turn on and the fan will makes half a turn. Then, everything dies.
Removing and plugging the power cord, then pushing again the power button, will give the same result.
Checked the memories, cleaned the contacts and removed the USB 2.0 PCI card. I have removed the CMOS battery, reset the PMU, now I'm substituting the power supply (still had the old noisy one as spare part, after Apple sent me the quieter one).

If the substitution of the power supply fails, what else can I try? I mean, beside going to an Apple store and buy a new iMac...

fletch33
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
I mean, beside going to an Apple store and buy a new iMac...

what a wonderful excuse to upgrade ;)

it sounds like you covered most of it. maybe you had a piece of memory go bad? have tried moving them around in rotation and firing up the mac to see if maybe a memory stick went bad? i know my G4 would do the same type of things and mine ended up being memory related.

good luck