PDA

View Full Version : How to loosen upper case of PowerBook G4?

SwordAngel
12-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Hi guys,
I have a PowerBook G4 15" sitting on my desk that I would like to disassemble.
It is one of the model A1138 (4th generation). I have been unable to find a disassembly guide for this model. All of the disassembly guides I have found through Google so far seem to be for different models of PowerBook G4 15", although the various revisions of the PowerBook are very similar, there is no guarantee that these guides would work.

The problem I am having is with the removal of the upper case. I have already removed the screws at the following locations:

the left and right sides of the PowerBook (6 screws in total)
the top 2 screws on the back of the PowerBook, where the display hinge is
the bottom of the PowerBook, including 2 in the memory expansion bay, and 2 more in the battery bay (8 in total)
the two screws on the upper case

Now, with the PowerBook sitting upright and its screen facing me, I am able to loosen the top right, top left, and bottom left corners of the upper case. The upper case seems to remain firmly locked around the SuperDrive, however. Some disassembly guides suggest that there is some kind of latch hidden around the left side of the SuperDrive slit, which I would need to loosen. Other guides say that I just have to keep rocking the upper case up and down.

I can't really see what's there because I am afraid of bending stuff if I pry open the upper case too much. I have tried to peek inside from the slit of the SuperDrive, but the felt cloth gets in the way and I can't get a good view there either.

Any suggestions? Macro photos of the locking latch would be helpful.

NaOH
12-02-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm not positive which is the 4th generation 15" PowerBook G4, but I think the disassembly guide you want may be right here (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-15-Inch-1-5-1-67-BT-2-0-LR/Upper-Case/64/3/Page-1).

If that's not the precise guide you need, you may want to look here (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/).