PDA

View Full Version : Connected to vpn, but can't browse the web

frob
09-27-2008, 12:07 AM
I want to browse the web with firefox using a vpn connection. I'm running 10.4.11, with the latest version of Firefox. My computer is accessing the ADSL router through a wireless connection. I've connected to the vpn server fine, but every time I connect to it and try to load a page in firefox nothing happens. When I disconnect from the vpn server, everything I was trying to load immediately loads as it normally does.

The connection is PPTP.

I've searched the web for answers to this problem, but the only two solutions I've found have not worked. I have made sure the option "Send all traffic over vpn" is checked in the Internet connect options, and I've also gone to System Preferences -> Network -> Network Port Configuration and dragged my VPN setup to the top of the list. Still, can't actually get pages to load.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

hayne
09-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Check if you can access web sites via their IP addresses instead of hostnames. If IP addresses work then you have a DNS problem and may have to enter the DNS servers for your ISP in the Network Preferences.

E.g. instead of trying http://www.macosxhints.com
try: http://70.42.185.231

put17
09-27-2008, 09:25 AM
I want to browse the web with firefox using a vpn connection. I'm running 10.4.11, with the latest version of Firefox. My computer is accessing the ADSL router through a wireless connection. I've connected to the vpn server fine, but every time I connect to it and try to load a page in firefox nothing happens. When I disconnect from the vpn server, everything I was trying to load immediately loads as it normally does.

The connection is PPTP.

I've searched the web for answers to this problem, but the only two solutions I've found have not worked. I have made sure the option "Send all traffic over vpn" is checked in the Internet connect options, and I've also gone to System Preferences -> Network -> Network Port Configuration and dragged my VPN setup to the top of the list. Still, can't actually get pages to load.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

try to uncheck the "send all traffic over vpn" option. it's possible that the endpoint you're connecting to is set up to not loop traffic on the interface. in that case you could only use the vpn connection for traffic destined for devices behind that endpoint, and not for generic internet traffic.