PDA

View Full Version : Weird bug: can't connect to WPA w/ hidden SSID after 2.1 upgrade?

kupietz
09-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Since I've upgraded to 2.1 firmware, not only I haven't been able to connect to either of my office's hidden-SSID WPA-encryted networks, I can't even get the phone to acknowledge that I've entered the network info.

I type in the network name, I enter WPA for the security, I enter the correct password, I hit enter, and.... nothing. The phone just continues to sit there, saying "Enter Network Information" on the top of the screen and doing nothing. :mad: I'm going out of my mind try to figure out how to get it to realize I've entered the information and want to to connect.

I can connect to these same networks with my Macbook, so I know I have the information right.

Anyone got a clue... am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug in 2.1? This all worked fine under 2.0. But I can't find anyone with a similar problem on Google.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Anti
09-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I heard this is a known problem. You mighty have to switch the network to WEP or wait for another update, unfortunately.

kupietz
09-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I heard this is a known problem. You mighty have to switch the network to WEP or wait for another update, unfortunately.

Nuts. It's my office's network, we have confidential data, WEP is a no-no. Why, for my $299, does Apple keep foisting beta-quality software on us? This is inexcusable, Apple should slow down and thoroughly test their releases before inconveniencing people who paid good money for their products. I can't believe I have to roll back to 2.0 now that I just got my phone all set up again.

Arg. Well, thanks for answering. Anyone else has any ideas, please, thrill me...

Sumleilmus
09-18-2008, 08:10 PM
My first generation iPhone running 1.1.4 worked well with a Linksys WRT54G router's WiFi access point using WPA2 encryption (AES + TKIP).

After I upgraded to the 2.0 software and made _no changes_ in the router's settings, the iPhone abruptly ceased to connect to the LAN.

Resetting the router to factory defaults enabled it to work again -- but not with WPA2 security. With no apparent intention to make a joke, the Applecare Level II rep told me "the problem is with the Linksys router," despite my scoffing and saying, "How can you tell me the problem is with the router when the phone's software changed and the router did not change and the phone stopped connecting?"

I was going to get a Time Machine anyway, so I did it and that "solved" the problem, but some people who weren't planning such a purchase would not want to make it for such a low-level reason.

trevor
09-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Nuts. It's my office's network, we have confidential data, WEP is a no-no. .

I would never advise using WEP, and I have no information about this "known problem". However, if we accept that the statement "iPhone software 2.1 does not work with WPA2-encrypted networks that have hidden SSIDs" to be true, the solution should never be to go back to WEP, which is broken and no protection.

The solution is to stop hiding the SSID, as this is not a true security measure. A hidden SSID is trivial to sniff, and so hiding the SSID doesn't protect anything at all. Broadcast the SSID--the script kiddies know all about it anyway.

WPA2 provides real security, so use it. Hiding the SSID provides nothing at all, so stop hiding it. And if a broadcast SSID solves the problem with iPhone software 2.1, then it's a good solution.

Trevor

wmscyclone
09-19-2008, 01:32 PM
have you tried using apple's iphone configurator to set up the iphone's wifi options? See this hint:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080828054130498&query=iphone%2Bconfig

That hint's about making a longer passcode, but there's a tab in the configurator for setting up wifi preferences...should be handy.

My iphone works with wpa2 on a hidden ssid (although it worked fine from day one on 1.0 software).