PDA

View Full Version : Auto start in OS X?

Elander
02-14-2002, 06:08 AM
In OS 9 you can make the computer start on a specified time each day (in the Energy saver prefs panel), does anyone know of a way to do that in OS X?

/elander

bluehz
02-17-2002, 07:13 AM
Cam't be done yet. Don't know why Apple can't seem to build in to OS X what has become a staple of the Mac OS user experience. Rather upsetting if you ask me.

Phil St. Romain
02-17-2002, 09:37 AM
The only way I know how to do it now is to set Energy Saver to restart the computer after a power failure (which works very well) and use a timer on your power strip to shut the power off and turn it back on when you want the computer to boot up. That's pretty harsh treatment of the OS, but it would work.

I'd like to see the ability to schedule sleep and wake times, as in OS 9. Maybe in the next update?

maclaw
02-17-2002, 01:45 PM
Don't know why Apple can't seem to build in to OS X what has become a staple of the Mac OS user experience.

I for one am happy that Apple shipped OS X in its current state of development rather than waiting another year or more until every last feature was implemented before releasing the first incarnation of the new OS. I too miss some OS 9 functionality, but these more esoteric features will get here eventually. I suspect that Apple (wisely) focused on the more fundamental aspects of getting the OS to WORK before concentrating on minor enhancements that add to your computing experience. It is not just a matter of copying/pasting routines from OS 9 code into the code for OS X. As it is, countless application designers are complaining that the APIs necessary to port essential basic functions of their applications are still not in place. Apple needs to address the absence of underlying core functionality first. Additional enhancemenets and features that are non-essential for the operation of the OS, or merely cosmetic (i.e. the oft-requested skins support), had better be far down on Apple's list of priorities. Of course, if you don't like Apple's decision to release OS X as a work in progress, then you could pretend it didn't happen and go back to using OS 9 until 10.3 comes out.

Please understand that this is not at all intended as a flame but I do think people are being a little harsh in suggesting that the first or second rev of a brand new, unlike anything previous, OS should come full-featured out of the gate. OS X is not OS 9.5. It is not an upgrade but a new creation from the ground up. Priorities first, then everything else in due time. I feel confident that Apple is well aware of the old features that they have not yet been able to implement into OS X. Just a hunch.

mervTormel
02-17-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil St. Romain
...set Energy Saver to restart the computer after a power failure (which works very well) and use a timer on your power strip to shut the power off and turn it back on when you want the computer to boot up. That's pretty harsh treatment of the OS, but it would work.

...but it would work. until that one time when it fritz'd yer drive. phil, this is madness akin to playing russian roulette with a loaded AK-47.

(obSong: Finland Red, Egypt White)

http://www.fourth-floor.co.uk/lyricfile/finlandred.htm

i agree with maclaw. those esoteric features are candy.

OSX is an amazing piece of work, but it's young and new. no doubt, features like these power mgt issues were put off.

--
even George Jetson was miffed at having to push buttons.

Phil St. Romain
02-18-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by mervTormel
. . . phil, this is madness akin to playing russian roulette with a loaded AK-47.

Yep! ;) But it would work, for those who absolutely need to have a timed shut-down and restart on occasion.

I mentioned on another thread that there's a utiltiy called Keep-It-UpX that lets you schedule restarts, so that's a movement in the right direction.

Elander
02-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Well, it was easier than I expected:

Boot in OS 9, use the Energy Saver setting as before. Then set the Startup Disk to OS X. When you shut down, the computer will automatically boot up in OS X at the time you set in Energy Saver in OS 9!

It works perfectly, my computer now starts automatically every weekday at 6.30, which means I can now wake up to my favourite mp3s...!

I've submitted a hint about it on the main site too...

mervTormel
02-18-2002, 12:24 PM
so, what does this tell us?

that these settings and control are in open firmware? there's just no interface in OSX yet?

can this be set thru classic? nope. energy saver is an extension that is not loaded in classic.

elander, i wonder if there are any new, interesting settings in your nvram?

if there are, perhaps this power mgt could be scripted until we get it in energy prefs.

% nvram -p
fcode-debug? false
nvramrc
boot-script
boot-file
console-screen

Craig R. Arko
02-18-2002, 12:34 PM
I was about to suggest something similar. This must be controlled by parameters stored in the nvram.

Just be warned, all, not to experiment indiscriminately with your nvram or you may discover new meanings of the term FUBAR.

Any Open Firmware gods here?

Phil St. Romain
02-18-2002, 01:08 PM
That's a little more elegant work-around than my suggestion, Elander. :D

Nice going.

Elander
02-18-2002, 01:45 PM
Well, this is what my nvram looks like right now, I must admit I don't have a clue as to what is what here (except for the obvious ones):
[localhost:~] mxer% nvram -p
fcode-debug? false
unselect-dev0032 w! thendo-map 4+ w@ 10 and 0=h drop 1f4 ms loop then bye ;n then
screen-#rows 40
boot-file
oem-banner
boot-command 0 bootr
oem-logo
real-size 0x100000
virt-base -1
boot-args
input-device kbd
output-device screen
boot-device ide0/@0:6
diag-switch? false
screen-#columns 100
auto-boot? true
oem-logo? false
diag-file
oem-banner? false
load-base 0x600000
selftest-#megs 0
real-base -1
virt-size 0x100000
little-endian? false
pci-probe-list -1
diag-device
use-nvramrc? true
real-mode? false

Hope this gives someone a clue..

Elander
02-19-2002, 01:06 PM
Apparantely the "solution" I found is a one shot only. Once the computer boots in OS X, the auto start setting is gone. This means the computer will auto start only once.

If you want it to start in OS X automatically again you have to boot in OS 9, set the time to start in Energy Saver and then select OS X as the start up folder again. Crap.

I've looked through all the documentation I could find on Open Firmware, and haven't found anything useful yet.

I'll be back...*sigh*

mervTormel
02-19-2002, 01:21 PM
elander,

i wonder what the heck this while loop is doing?

unselect-dev0032 w! thendo-map 4+ w@ 10 and 0=h drop 1f4 ms loop then bye ;n then

is that nvram param gone after your one shot?

and is that all of it? it looks truncated with that ;n then hanging out there.

Elander
02-20-2002, 02:59 AM
Well mervTormel, it's even worse than it looks. Last night I tried setting it up again, and did a new "nvram -p" immediately after booting in X.

It was different, but only on the strange line you mention in your reply. That line is a lot longer, but it ENDS the same. In other words, there is a lot of stuff before the "unselect-dev0032...".

This also looks truncated, which leads me to beleive that "nvram -p" doesn't really show me everything in PRAM. I tried checking with an old application in OS 9, but it didn't do me any good (a nice GUI app called "PRAM Inspector", unfortunately only showing a small subset of parameters in a very user friendly way -- completely useless in this situation).

Strange development though: this morning the damned computer started at the specified time again. I think I will let it be for a while to see if will start again tomorrow (I have a PowerBook I can use in the mean time).

Jacques
06-13-2003, 08:35 AM
I tested ResurrXtion (http://homepage.mac.com/starman/ResurrXtion.html) out last night, it works!

My original bondi blue iMac came up with the notice "Hardware not found / supported." when I first ran it. I wrote the author who responded in about 10 minutes, he said to ignore it and go ahead and try..

It worked, no problems at all.

filetgr
07-18-2003, 11:09 PM
I don't know if someone has already covered this (I didn't see it glancing down the posts), but there's a shareware program called iBeeZz (http://ibeezz.reboute.net/en/index.php) that allows you to schedule several events - startup, shutdown, sleep, etc.

I installed it on my iBook, and it worked great. It's like $10 to register, though, and with my irregular schedule it wasn't worth it to me...:o

Great program, though.

tjudd01
07-19-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by maclaw
I for one am happy that Apple shipped OS X in its current state of development rather than waiting another year or more until every last feature was implemented before releasing the first incarnation of the new OS.
Yes! I was worried that OS X (10.0.0) that was released would not include many "features" I normally use in an OS. I didn't even get into OS X until Jaguar. And I only saw what Jaguar had to offer, now I'm hooked.
I too miss some OS 9 functionality, but these more esoteric features will get here eventually. I suspect that Apple (wisely) focused on the more fundamental aspects of getting the OS to WORK before concentrating on minor enhancements that add to your computing experience. It is not just a matter of copying/pasting routines from OS 9 code into the code for OS X.
Again, the way you phrase your statements have never been heard by me so exactly as I feel... Yet I lacked the ability to place it into words!As it is, countless application designers are complaining that the APIs necessary to port essential basic functions of their applications are still not in place. Apple needs to address the absence of underlying core functionality first. Additional enhancemenets and features that are non-essential for the operation of the OS, or merely cosmetic (i.e. the oft-requested skins support), had better be far down on Apple's list of priorities.
I feel sorry for the developers who got too used to all the bells-and-whistles of an OS before they can release software. I like simple programs, but even the simple ones now-a-days still cost a shareware fee (argh!)Of course, if you don't like Apple's decision to release OS X as a work in progress, then you could pretend it didn't happen and go back to using OS 9 until 10.3 comes out.
...Which, according to some people, 10.3 will still be a work in progress

Please understand that this is not at all intended as a flame but I do think people are being a little harsh in suggesting that the first or second rev of a brand new, unlike anything previous, OS should come full-featured out of the gate. OS X is not OS 9.5. It is not an upgrade but a new creation from the ground up. Priorities first, then everything else in due time. I feel confident that Apple is well aware of the old features that they have not yet been able to implement into OS X. Just a hunch.

I appreciate people who post with thier thoughts in head, a lot (?) of us are too worried we'd be flamed if we did it! :) Enjoy the evening.

tsugaru
07-19-2003, 02:58 AM
They stuck this feature in Panther so just wait.