PDA

View Full Version : DiskWarrior on Tiger/Leopard?

hassiman
07-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi,

I have DiskWarrior V4.2 on DVD and I was wondering how it is used to safely maintain an Intel MAC running Tiger and Leopard on seperate drives. I have been almost afraid to try it as I don't want to screw up my MacPro.:confused:

Can I use it on both OS HDs? How is it used in mantenance mode and how likely is it to screw up my Tiger/Leopard boot drive?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.:D

Thanks

trevor
07-22-2008, 03:27 PM
I have DiskWarrior V4.2 on DVD

The latest publicly available version of DiskWarrior is 4.1 as I type this, and it is always available on CD, not DVD. If you have version 4.2, then it's either a private build from Alsoft, which I suspect that they would prefer you not talk about, or is something else pretending to be DiskWarrior. In either of those cases, I would not advise you using it. Stick with the version that is publicly available. Using unsupported or false versions of any utility is quite likely to screw up your Tiger/Leopard boot drive.

If, on the other hand, you had a copy of DiskWarrior 4.1 on CD, then it can be used to safely maintain your Intel Mac running Tiger and Leopard. DiskWarrior 4.1 can be used on both OS hard drives.

I do not use DiskWarrior in "maintenance mode"--I use it when problems occur. Personally, even with an excellent utility like DiskWarrior which I trust wholeheartedly, I don't advise it's use more often than needed. Don't futz with things too much--the futzing is liable to do something unexpected.

Trevor

biovizier
07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I don't know if they have fixed this yet, but using "DiskWarrior" to repair permissions on a drive on which Leopard has been installed via the "upgrade" method will mess up 10.5 system.

Because of the transition to 'launchd', a number of files that were setuid in 10.4 no longer are in 10.5. The way "repair permissions" works has also been changed. Due to an interaction of these two changes, running "repair permissions" with "DiskWarrior" (which uses 10.4-style permissions repair) under these circumstances will result in some files becoming setuid that should not be.

Reversing the problem is not straightforward because the implementation of "repair permissions" under 10.5 is flawed - in this situation, it doesn't do the one thing that it is supposed to do, which is repair incorrect permissions, meaning that users will either have to learn the command line to fix things manually, install a "combo" update with the hopes that that affected files will be replaced, or else reinstall the whole system.