PDA

View Full Version : oops, voided my Applecare with a hard drive upgrade

Cowboy_X
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
My friend's Macbook Pro has been having some locking up issues for a while now. As the lock-ups were infrequent (maybe 2-3 times a week), he sort of ignored the issue. A bit later he asked me about upgrading his hard drive, so I found him a 500gb monster and installed it.

Recently the lock-ups have become a great deal more frequent, and he bought Applecare the day before his warranty ran out. He's going to bring the laptop in to the Apple Store later today.

What is the likelihood that this hard drive is going to get us in trouble? If we put the old HD back in, are they likely to notice that it was "opened" to begin with?

Cowboy_X
07-10-2008, 10:40 AM
(I feel a bit silly about this whole situation, but I'm one of those guys who has been monkeying around with computers since the '80s, so the notion that a hard drive upgrade would invalidate a warranty just seems preposterous to me... oh well)

ThreeDee
07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm pretty sure that basic user-serviceable upgrades (HD, RAM) don't void warranties.

Doing something like removing the "REMOVING THIS VOIDS WARRANTY" sticker, spilling coffee/juice/water/wine on it, overclocking it, etc. will probably (if not definitely) void it, however.

Except I've never needed to bring my Mac to Apple to fix, so I'm not 100% sure.

trevor
07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I know a guy who upgraded the hard drive on his Titanium PowerBook (so this was a few years ago, and may no longer be valid). When he was speaking to Applecare of the phone, they insisted that he needed to reinstall the original hard drive before they would go any further--they considered a non-Apple-installed hard drive to be the cause of any problem until proven otherwise. So, he reinstalled the original hard drive (which of course, was NOT the cause of the problem) and Apple took back the computer and fixed it.

When he got it back, he had to again install his upgraded hard drive.

I'm not sure if his experience is unusual, but in that case, it did not void the warranty, but the Applecare folks wouldn't work on it with the upgrade.

Trevor

styrafome
07-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty sure that basic user-serviceable upgrades (HD, RAM) don't void warranties.

"User-serviceable part" is defined by the manufacturer, not by whether we are able to do it. For the MacBook, the hard drive is user-serviceable. For the MacBook Pro, it isn't.

The reports above make sense. If the hard drive is not considered user-serviceable, Apple wants to keep their test suite clean: They want all standard parts to still be there. When I got my PowerBook serviced years ago, there was a piece of paper that said that they would service it with the third-party RAM in there, but if the problem could not be found in any of the Apple parts or when Apple RAM was put back in, they were prepared to blame the third-party part and send it back without fixing it. So it's often in your best interest to send them as stock a machine as possible.

Cowboy_X
08-05-2008, 10:18 AM
if anyone faces this problem and is wondering how it turned out for us: We put the original HD back in, reformatted with Leopard, delivered to Apple Store, they went to work on it without blinking an eye.

Turned out to be a faulty logic board.