PDA

View Full Version : remove partition from I book G4

samedi35
07-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Hello, Am not very good with my computer and was hoping for some idiot - speak advice. About 6 months ago my hard disc for my Ibook G4 broke. When it was repaired my gf collected it and was advised to have a partition installed which she agreed to. Now am desperate for the extra space and would like to remove it and have all the memory available in one piece.

I am running Tiger on my G4.
Can anyone advise me on how to remove the partition (in idiot speak please!)?

I read on a previous thread about going in to disc utility and deleting the whole of the disc (after backing everything up ) but when have been investigating this it only gives me the option to delete one side.. the side that is mostly unused and not that i am running the operating system/browset etc on.

Thanks very much for the advice.

sam

benwiggy
07-04-2008, 08:57 AM
The only way to create one partition involves wiping the whole disk - including the system and all your files. So you can't run the computer normally (using the OS from the disk) and try to join the partitions.

First, backup all your data: music, software installers, documents, everything.

Then you will need to use the Apple installer CD and boot the computer from that. (Hold C at startup.) Then use Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, and you will be able to turn the disk into one big partition.

You will then have to re-install your OS and restore all your documents, 3rd-party apps, etc.

An alternative may be to use the 2nd partition to store some of your data. You can easily put your iTunes Library on the other partition, for instance.
You can even point your whole User Home folder onto the other partition.

How big is your disk and the partitions; and how much free space ?