PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp Partition for Both OSes?

schneb
07-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I just got my new 8-core MacPro (cue Tim Allen (http://65.186.65.233/sounds/televis/homeimpr/hiarr.mp3))

In transferring all my files from my Intel iMac to the MacPro, I noticed that my partition for Bootcamp only transferred my Windows files to a Mac partition, something that Bootcamp did NOT understand or recognize as a drive. My question is, where do I go from here? I can launch the Bootcamp setup application, but is there a format that would allow me to copy over all the Windows files from the current partition to the new Win-friendly version? Would FAT32 work for both? Reinstalling Windows will not work for me. Note that I still have my Intel iMac with the Windows partition still in place.

Thanks for your help!

fracai
07-03-2008, 02:43 PM
If you format as FAT32 you'll certainly be able to write to the partition, but you won't be able to just copy the Windows system files and reboot into Windows.

Why is installing Windows on the MacPro unacceptable? If you're discontinuing the use of the iMac Windows install, you can transfer the license to the new machine.

schneb
07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
It was such a big hassle getting WinXP installed on my machine with all the updates and everything (its an old disk). Especially with all the installed apps I have. All I wanted to do was just Ghost the iMacs to the MacBook. Perhaps I am asking too much of Microsoft to allow this to be? I will know when I get home if it works. :P

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and buy another copy of WinXP. But I do not use it that much, and I don't like putting any money towards a company that gives me so much registration hassles and treats me like some kind of pirate. Sorry for the rant. I just don't like their policies.

DeltaMac
07-03-2008, 06:30 PM
If you transfer your Windows partition to a different computer, then your Windows installation will need to be re-activated.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

Does you no good to worry about Microsoft - they will still try to accuse you of being a pirate! It's Microsoft, after all :D

The nice part of your Mac Pro (well, one of the nice things, eh?), is that you don't need to create a Windows partition on your OSX boot drive. You can setup and install Windows on its own separate drive!