PDA

View Full Version : Resizing / Moving a Window

SuperDave_GPS
07-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Just a quick question:

I've noticed that with several of the past few Mac OS X releases, that when I open window, say my main HD window, and I resize it and place it on the screen where I want it to be, the next time that I log back in, that same window no longer retains its size and placement.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, just upgraded to 10.5.3 (but this was the way it has been for several OS releases), and I open my windows in icon view.

trevor
07-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Open a window, set it's size, position, and preferences, then close it immediately. Reopening it now should retain size, position, and preferences.

If it doesn't, then there's some problem with the invisible .DS_Store file in that folder.

Trevor

SuperDave_GPS
07-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Nope.
Everything that I've tried seems to not work.
I've noticed the exact same thing back when I had my iMac G5 as well...

Occasionally, a window will retain the parameters that I've set, but if I log out or shut down, then log in, the window goes back to its old setting, which appears to be the standard default of when I first bought the computer.

VirtualTracy
07-06-2008, 07:31 AM
You should try deleting the invisible (first you need to enable visibility of these hidden files) .DS_Store file then resize the window, shut it down and test it out by opening it again .. if it opens to your preferences then trevor's clue was correct.

The Finder II - Show Hidden Files (http://www.osxfaq.com/dailytips/02-2005/02-01.ws)

SuperDave_GPS
07-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Sweet. That seemed to have worked.

I did all of the changes last night, and when I turned the MacBook on this morning, all the windows stayed where I set them last night.

Thank you all for your professional help and wisdom.

By the way, even though it appears that the Terminal code from the link above looks like 3 lines of code (the second line appears to be outdented a bit), I discovered that the first 2 lines is actually just 1 big line with a space in the middle. So there's really only 2 lines to type. I guess that was why it didn't work for me on the first attempt...

Shoizzaib
05-07-2010, 05:18 PM
desktop screen has gone bigger and all the icons and docks have gone out of the sight, can be seen by moving the mouse, as when i move the mouse all the desktop screen moves along with. Could someone tell me how to fix this problem. I am using imac OSX 10.5.8, thanks.

DeltaMac
05-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Open your System Preferences, then Universal Access pane. Turn 'Zoom' off.
Or, toggle the zoom on or off by pressing Option-Command-8