PDA

View Full Version : Dismounting the OS 9 partition

christen
01-29-2003, 07:43 AM
How can I automatically dismount a volume in Mac OS X upon login (or startup)? I have a two partition configuration, one for Mac OS X and the other for Mac OS 9, so users can select the appropriate system by holding down the option-key while booting. Under Mac OS X i dont need classic and i would like to dismount the Mac OS 9 partition to prevent users from deleting files on this area. Can someone help me in finding out a way to solve this problem. For the reverse problem (booting OS 9) i am using a simple applescript as startupscript to unmount the OS X Volume. Is there a similar trick under OS X?
Thanks for any help

jeffo
01-29-2003, 12:44 PM
I dont do much with scripts but there has got to be a way to put in a scirpt in the crontab file to do that. There is also a file that it has to use to mount drives because if you boot up the machine in verbose mode you will see it go through the mounting process. You can add a mount point by using a file called fstab but that file i dont think is there by default and it is not what X seems to use to mount the drives. I have never used this program but i heard that you could use SuperGetInfo to make a drive invisible. I am not even sure where you can get it but i would check version tracker (http://www.versiontracker.com) and i hope that this helps some.

mclbruce
01-29-2003, 05:02 PM
I think you could make an applescript that does this, save it as an application, and put it in the startup items folder. The script would look something like this:

tell application "Finder"
eject myhd
end tell

Perhaps someone who does OS X scripting could correct the grammar of the script.