PDA

View Full Version : OSX server hanging after PHP5 upgrade

pogbobo
05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
hey guys,

We have a newer Xserv that has OSX Server 10.4.11

it had PHP4 on there and I decided to upgrade it to PHP5 for various reasons... I followed the best set of instructions I could find, and I used the entropy package to install it ...

before the upgrade everything was working great, and after the upgrade everything was working great (including PHP5) and then the server randomly froze! so i walked over and cycled the power to the server and now it has the following problems: (:))

ARD can't connect to it
the web server service works fine, but it will not execute php, when it tries it hangs ...

I can ping the server fine, and like I said I can load html off of it fine ...

fwiw I also installed the newest mySQL

help! thanks

pogbobo
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
ok, i reverted to the pre-php5 httpd.conf in hopes that it wouldn't load the php5 module ... still no luck, the whole thing hangs as soon as you try to access a php page ... oh, and i cant log in locally now, safe mode still works, but thats it

hayne
05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
It sounds like a good time to revert to your backup and test that is working and run other tests (e.g. doing a filesystem check with Disk Utility) before trying again with the PHP and mySQL install.

And check your logs (using the "Console" application) to see if there is anything unusual in there.

pogbobo
05-19-2008, 03:50 PM
thanks for the reply hayne ... after messing with it for an hour I decided to do a fresh install with OS X Server 10.5 and that solved all my problems :)