PDA

View Full Version : I think my root just lost its privileges on the HDD

projectIncomplet
05-09-2008, 10:18 AM
I've got 2 mac's a MBP and a Mac mini. I tried to switch on file sharing on de Mac mini, but what i tried is to add the whole harddisc. Little did i know it would set new privileges for the disk (guess im still thinking to much as a windows user). The hardisc's icon changed to a folder with a little red (not allowed) icon.

Now after booting my Mac mini i get a blue screen :( Tried starting in verbose mode and near the end it says it can't locate some files.

I think that privileges are the problem...

Luckily i just got the Mac mini and didn't install anything yet, a clean install would remedy the problem, but if someone has easier/better way that would be nice.

trevor
05-09-2008, 11:40 AM
but what i tried is to add the whole harddisc. Little did i know it would set new privileges for the disk (guess im still thinking to much as a windows user).

It's not clear to me exactly what you actually did, but it sounds like you somehow changed either ownership or privileges for your boot drive on the MacBook Pro?

OK, find a standard 6 pin to 6 pin FireWire (400) cable. With both computers switched off, connect it between the MBP and the Mac Mini. Boot the MBP while holding down the 'T' key. This will put the MBP into FireWire Target Disk Mode, and a FireWire logo will bounce around on it's screen. Now, boot the Mac Mini.

When the Mini is booted, the hard drive from the MBP will appear on its Desktop, as if it was an attached FireWire hard drive.

Now, open up your Terminal (it's in /Applications/Utilities) and copy/paste the following commands, hitting Return at the end of each line:

ls -al /Volumes
id
echo "done"

Then, copy/paste it back here. Also make sure to tell us the name of the MacBook Pro's hard drive, so we can pick it out in the information from your Terminal.

Trevor

projectIncomplet
05-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Thx for the reply, i don't have a firewire kabel lying around (maybe i'll run to the store in a minute to get one), i'll post my findings as soon as i have one.

And just to be a little bit clearer:
I changed the file sharing settings on the Mac mini.
I went in to system preferences -->sharing (sorry i kinda have to guess the names because my osx is in dutch).
I turn on file sharing and using the "+" icon (to add a new shared location/folder) and i selected my harddrive as the new location/folder to be shared. That's when finder hang and my harddrive icon on the desktop changed in to a folder with a red "not allowed" icon.
I had to shut down the Mac mini by holding the on/off switch for 5 seconds.

trevor
05-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Well, it doesn't sound like you did anything you shouldn't have. I'm not sure why the things you did could result in loss of ownership or permissions for your internal hard drive. Let us know what the results of the commands given in Post #2 are as soon as you know.

Doe voorzichtig!

Trevor

projectIncomplet
05-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Ok I just remembered that the store (to buy a firewire cable) closes early, but i got the bright idea of popping in the osx install dvd and luckily it has a terminal as well. So here are the results (Macintosh HD is the Mac mini's drive i tried to share):

-bash-3.2# ls -al /Volumes
total 14
drwxrwxrwt 4 root admin 1024 May 9 11:02 .
drwxrwxr-t 23 root admin 850 Okt 12 2007 ..
d-wx-wx-wt@ 2 root admin 1024 May 9 11:02.Trashes
--w--w--w- 1 root admin 4096 May 9 11:02 ._.Trashes
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1 May 9 11:08 Mac OS X Install DVD -> /
drwx---r-x 33 root admin 1190 May 2 13:07 Macintosh HD
-bash-3.2# id
-bash: id: command not found
-bash-3.2# echo "done"
done
-bash-3.2#

I also tried to repair disk permissions using disk utility.
Now when i reboot i get a blue screen, but this time with a mouse pointer...

trevor
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
drwx---r-x 33 root admin 1190 May 2 13:07 Macintosh HD

OK, group rights have been somehow removed from "Macintosh HD". In your Install DVD's Terminal, enter the following command exactly:

chmod 755 /Volumes/"Macintosh HD"

Trevor

projectIncomplet
05-09-2008, 02:07 PM
That did the trick. Dude your my hero!

But is it normal that setting your hardisk to be shared results in a change of rights? Well not that i'll try that again anytime soon... ;)

Bedankt! :D

projectIncomplet
05-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Lol i just found out that my whole harddisk is now shared (like i wanted to), but it doesn't show in system prefferences --> sharing --> file sharing :confused:.

Oh well it works...

trevor
05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
But is it normal that setting your hardisk to be shared results in a change of rights?

No. Setting the drive as shared should have no effect at all on your own local rights.

Trevor

mikeyboy91
05-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Trevor, This thread just saved me! You hit a bullseye on ProjectIncomplete's issue which apparently was the same as mine. I was "messing" with permissions on the HD because I didn't want anyone accessing my computer. 2 people at Apple Tech Support insisted on Archive and Install, which I felt was the last resort! Dude, you are my hero too. Peace.