PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burning Hardware Error

dangr
04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I burn a lot of DVDs for my job (well, I'm trying to, anyway) and recently I've been having a problem with my drive. I have a Macbook (the white one), and it has a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857 Superdrive. But about 75% of the time when I try to burn a DVD, especially in Popcorn, I get the following message:

"The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
Sense Code = 0x03, 0x01"

This especially happens when i slightly nudge my computer while it's burning (even as little as swiping my finger over the mousepad). It seems like the drive must be really loose or something, and gets jostled if i touch anything, or often even when i don't. Does anyone know what the problem might be, or what I might be able to do to fix it? I thought about taking it into an apple store, but it only happens some of the time, and usually only about 20 mins into the burn. Its always annoying because I have wasted a disc everytime it fails, which is unfortunately most of the time.

Suggestions?

Thanks so much.

trevor
04-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Have you been seeing that error a lot more since you
1. changed brands of media, or
2. started on a new pack of media?

I usually associate that error with a media issue of some kind. Try a different brand, or start a new pack.

Trevor

appleman_design
04-23-2008, 04:04 PM
check the prefs for the burner and see if buffer underrun is turned on, may alleviate the error.