PDA

View Full Version : external hard drive crashed

serab
03-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Hello people, I need help.

My friends internal hard drive from her powerbook died. It was replaced.

Then she told me that she wanted to use it as an external drive, so like a dummy I put it in an external enclosure and hooked it up to MY powerbook g4 and loaded some files on it. Then I disconnected her drive.

Now MY external hard drive is dead.

I ran DiskWarrior for two days straight. It said error at 2351 and didnít repair that disk. I ran test disk and it did not repair the disk. Test disk ran for 12 hours straight and did not do it.

My external hard drive has almost ALL my work from the last ten years. I have Data Rescue ll, but that didnít appear to do anything either.

The hard drive does not appear in the screen although it does in Disk Utility. Disk utility could not do anything either.

Can someone please help me out? I already purchased a replacement hard drive but I NEED this info and if I could save the drive too, that would be great.

trevor
03-14-2008, 01:10 PM
This is what's known as a coincidence. There is no relationship at all between connecting an external drive and your internal drive having problems. So you're not a dummy!

What version of DiskWarrior do you have exactly? What version of OS X is on your external drive exactly?

Have you spoken with Alsoft's technical support? They will have a lot more information than we do about things like the meaning of "error at 2351".

Trevor

serab
03-14-2008, 02:15 PM
"What version of DiskWarrior do you have exactly? What version of OS X is on your external drive exactly?"

Disk warrior 3.03
Not sure how to answer the OS X question because I dont know if you are assuming that I installed OS X.
However , the computer that I used to originally transfer things to the hard drive was running 10.4.9
I have not spoken to technical support either.
Just thought someone here might have had a similar situation.

trevor
03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
What version of OS X is on your external drive exactly?
Not sure how to answer the OS X question because I dont know if you are assuming that I installed OS X.

Oops, sorry, I asked the wrong question. I really wanted to know what version of OS X is on your internal drive. It appears that the answer is 10.4.9. DiskWarrior 3.03 should work alright on a 10.4.9 hard drive, although there were some good refinements in DiskWarrior 4.x.

I think it's a good idea for you to call Alsoft's tech support and get their advice.

Trevor