View Full Version : Manually Uninstall SETI@Home OS X?
02-12-2002, 07:51 AM
Does anyone know how to manually uninstall SETI@Home OS X? There's an apparent bug that has the net effect of hanging my mac (causing me to reboot; it locks up the screen.) I've deleted the application itself, but there is a daemon that apparently gets started somehow, which must be itself started during the boot process.
The SETI@Home documentation refers me to an uninstall script that I did not get with the application.
Thanks in advance! dave
Phil St. Romain
02-12-2002, 09:52 AM
Dave, check your login items in your Login Preferences and be sure that's clear.
Also, your /Library/Screensavers and delete anything Seti.
Finally, your /Users/name/Library/Preferences folder might have something.
Try all that and see if you find something.
02-12-2002, 02:55 PM
Ah, here's the secret:
/Library/StartupItems has a folder in it labeled SETI@home. That folder has two files, one a ".plist" file and the other a shellscript (#!/bin/sh) that launches the SETI screensaver daemon.
To keep SETI from running, remove this folder and reboot.
I have a couple of questions about this:
1. What application uses the ".plist" files? Each folder in StartupItems has its own StartupItem.plist; obviously some application iterates through
/Library/StartupItems, processing each folder's StartupItem.plist.
2. Does anyone know when entries in /Library/StartupItems gets processed? Is this before or after entries in /etc/*rc* get handled? Is there a general tutorial on how MacOS X boots up?
3. (Maybe the only easy question of the lot :-) During startup, where do messages to the system console get recorded?
02-12-2002, 08:42 PM
If it helps any, I use the command line version, it's under darwin on their download page (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html), scroll down to where you see "powerpc-apple-darwin1.2:". It's faster and I can let it run all the time, on a faster machine. There's also SetiDockling (http://remi.zara.free.fr/mac/setidockling/), which is excellent, you can set it's priority and start and stop it from the dockling, etc.
02-13-2002, 08:07 AM
To completely uninstall SAH (let alone SETI@home_OSX.app), look also for
1. What application uses the ".plist" files?
SystemStarter, AFAIK (see /etc/rc, near the bottom of the file).
2. Does anyone know when entries in /Library/StartupItems gets processed?
Invoked by /etc/rc. See above...
3. During startup, where do messages to the system console get recorded?
Not sure I understood this... do you mean /private/var/tmp/console.log?
12-14-2008, 11:14 PM
All this UNIX techno stuff is very interesting but the Install Script can just be downloaded from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php - once you get the folder unzipped the full uninstall script run flawlessly - find it en the 'extra' folder...
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.