PDA

View Full Version : modify internet alias location

beedee
01-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Is there a way to change the location that an internet alias points to without creating a new one?

Here's why I ask...

My home computer has a dynamic ip, and I use a little app called I.P. Reporter which e-mails me the new IP everytime it changes.

What I'd like to do is setup a Mail rule that executes an Applescript which updates my home computer's AFP address in an alias every time IP Reporter sends me the new IP.

If someone knows of a similar way to do this, I'm all ears. All I want is to have a working shortcut to my home computer in the Favorites folder.

mclbruce
01-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by beedee
All I want is to have a working shortcut to my home computer in the Favorites folder.

There are several dynamic DNS services that will solve this problem in a different way. Your computer runs an app that tells the dynamic dns service your new IP when the computer starts up. You reserve a subdomain from the dynamic dns service such as myname.dynamicservice.com. They automatically update the IP of the subdomain when your computer notifies them. You can use the subdomain as a bookmark. I used dyndns.org for a while and it worked.

http://dyndns.org/

It was free for the basic service when I used it, and it may still be.

mervTormel
01-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by beedee
Is there a way to change the location that an internet alias points to without creating a new one?...

the data is in the resource fork, so i'd say you need a different approach.

$ ll foo.webloc/rsrc
-rw-r--r-- 1 merv admin 528 Jan 16 17:57 foo.webloc/rsrc