PDA

View Full Version : Deleted playlists, library still there, music gone on ipod!

juju333
01-08-2008, 09:56 PM
i admit i'm stupid so please be kind.

essentially, i deleted all the playlists in my mac itunes, then auto-synched to my ipod. although ALL my music still appears in the itunes library, it is completely gone, wiped out, on my ipod. i don't understand what happened. i thought the music *lived* in the library and was simply organized into playlists. apparently not...

so...is it possible to retrieve all my precious music if it's still in the library but NOT in any playlists? again, i'm a computer idiot so please be kind.

can anyone help this poor helpless creature???? :(

thanks a million!

EatsWithFingers
01-09-2008, 06:55 AM
i thought the music *lived* in the library and was simply organized into playlists.
This is correct. The music should still be accesible via the "Music" library (top option on the left iTunes pane).

It sounds like your iPod was set to sync with one of your playlists and not the main library (i.e. "Music"). Therefore, no playlist to sync with = no music on iPod.

On the off-chance that the music does not appear in the main "Music" library, there is still a chance the files remain on your computer. If you have iTunes set to copy imported songs to your library (and you're on a Mac) then they should be in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music - where ~ is your home folder. If so, you can simply drag the top-level folder (iTunes Music) into iTunes and it will re-import all the music so the songs will once again appear in the main "Music" library.

Hope this helps.

juju333
01-09-2008, 07:22 AM
thanks eats.
yes, my music is inside my music library within itunes. it also still exists in that folder on my computer, which i have reimported into my itunes as a playlist to try it from that angle. no luck.

how can i find out if my IPOD is set to synch with PLAYLISTS instead of the music library?

thank again!

juju333
01-09-2008, 10:21 AM
all my MP3s seem to be saved on my computer AND in my itunes music library. however, after deleting some playlists to save space, NONE of my music will synch back onto my ipod! i get a msg. saying the songs are gone from the playlists so there's nothing to synch to, essentially. how can this be? can anyone help?
sorry for the desperation but...I am desperate!
thanks and peace
juju

EatsWithFingers
01-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Sorry for the delayed response - I've been very busy of late.

...which i have reimported into my itunes as a playlist to try it from that angle. no luck.
First off, when you import tracks into iTunes, they get added to the main "Music" library, not as a new playlist.

You probably know this next bit, but for the sake of completeness...

There are two types of playlists. One is simply a selection of songs which you manually add. The other is a 'smart' playlist which adds tracks automatically based on a series of criteria you define.

how can i find out if my IPOD is set to synch with PLAYLISTS instead of the music library?
When you connect your iPod, selecting it in the left-hand column (under "Devices") will bring up a series of tabs in the main window. I'm not at my Mac right now, but if I remember correctly, one is titled 'Music'. This is where you select what playlists your iPod syncs with.

There are options to sync with all playlists, or with specific ones. Note however, that if you sync with a smart playlist that depends upon another playlist as a source, the source playlist must also be synced for the smart playlist to work correctly on your iPod. The only exception is the main "Music" library. Any smart playlists that use it, will use the equivalent main "Music" library on your iPod.

If all your tracks will fit on your iPod, and you don't want to exclude any, then just select 'all playlists' in the 'Music' tab.

all my MP3s seem to be saved on my computer AND in my itunes music library.
They are one in the same. What you see in iTunes is simply a different view of those same files.

...after deleting some playlists to save space...
Not really necessary. The playlists only reference the original tracks. They do not create copies. e.g. if you delete a track from your main library, it will no longer exist in any playlist, but deleting a track from a playlist will not remove it from the main library (or any other playlists for that matter).

Hopefully things are a bit clearer now. :)