PDA

View Full Version : USB to Firewire?

jwnulife
12-08-2007, 07:20 AM
I have a 2006 Lacie external hard drive with a USB cable. Does anyone know if it is possible to adapt the USB cable to a Firewire Cable and get firewre capabilities? Or does firewire have to be integral to the hard drive itself in order to function properly?

cwtnospam
12-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Not possible. Even if you convert to Firewire, the USB will still be the limiting factor. Data can only travel as fast as the slowest link in the chain.

jwnulife
12-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks. It was suggested to me by one person to simply by a firewire enclosure case and swap out the hard drive. Any ideas on this?

cwtnospam
12-08-2007, 08:55 AM
That's a possibility. I don't know about current drives, but I know that on older drives the chipset could be a limiting factor too. You'd get Firewire, but the throughput would still be limited.

jwnulife
12-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Its probably a little over my head anyways. I'm not very mechanically inclined. So now the question is whether I should buy a new external hard drive with firewire (which I think would be cheaper) or an external dual dvd writer (my iMac can not read/write dual layer).

cwtnospam
12-08-2007, 09:39 AM
That's up to you! They serve two different purposes. Any specific reason you can't use the USB drive?