PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a zip free software

paldo
11-22-2007, 07:52 AM
I have a 37MB pdf document that I want to zip and put on my webpage for download. I first create an archive and upload it to my server, but if a PC user download it he will not be able to unzip it with ease.
I work with adobe acrobat 6.0 professional. Is there a simple way to zip my pdf document? Do you know a free software?

Thanks for your help

benwiggy
11-22-2007, 08:09 AM
You can zip a file in the Finder. CTRL-click (right-click) on a file, and select "Archive..". I believe that Windows boxes should also be able to unzip files as standard.

However, there is little point in zipping a PDF. Depending upon your distiller settings, the data in the file is already compressed, so you are unlikely to save much, if any space.

cwtnospam
11-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Why would a PC user have trouble opening a zip file? :confused: It works on mine.

cwtnospam
11-22-2007, 08:19 AM
However, there is little point in zipping a PDF.

Maybe with the right distiller settings, but this isn't true with all pdf files. I just zipped one that went from 2.2 MB down to 772 KB.

paldo
11-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Why when I archive my pdf document it compresses it to a folder and not to a single document? When I unzip it on a PC it opens two _MACOSX folders and the one pdf document.
....and you are right, the gain in space is about 15%. So I think I better upload the pdf document to the server as it is.

benwiggy
11-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Press standard PDFs, which are designed to be high quality and portable, use either ZIP or JPEG compression on images and can also compress text. If you are using a lower-quality job-options, the compression (and image sampling rate) is likely to yield a more compressed, smaller PDF.

While you might be able to get a reduction by zipping the file, you are better off doing the compression in the PDF and then just posting that on T'internet.

Paldo - are you archiving the file on a PC disk? What you describe sounds like the resource fork on the HFS+ filesystem, as displayed on a PC-formatted disk. When I archive a PDF, it is just a file.

paldo
11-22-2007, 10:33 AM
I archive the pdf document on a Mac using Tiger (finder-->archive...), upload to the server, open my webpage on two different PCs for a check and download the zip file. The zip file when unzipped opens two _MACOSX folders and the my pdf document.

trevor
11-22-2007, 10:37 AM
The _MACOSX folders are presumably the resource forks. Why is this a problem for you?

Trevor

paldo
11-22-2007, 10:45 AM
It's not a problem but I want to make it as easy as possible for my colleagues that download the document and have just a basic computer knowledge. Clicking on the link should download the zip file, clicking on the zip file should open the document (open/save as..). Thanks for your good advice.

trevor
11-22-2007, 10:46 AM
If you start with pdfs that don't use resource forks, then the _MACOSX folders shouldn't get created. Does Acrobat (or whatever you use to create your pdfs) have an option to not create resource forks?

Trevor

paldo
11-22-2007, 10:54 AM
It's time for dinner here in Switzerland. I will look into it later, I don't know yet where to look for uncheck resource forks on adobe acrobe 6.0 professional.

benwiggy
11-22-2007, 11:22 AM
PDFs should not use resource forks. All the data is in the data file. That's why you can download them from the internet. Any resource fork created is most likely to be done by the OS, for image previews or what have you. (Though I thought OS X was phasing out such things.) I don't think there is an option in Acrobat for resource forks.

If paldo wants to make it easy for his colleagues, simply put the file up without zipping it. Then they don't have to unzip the file. And putting the PDF on the internet will strip out any resource fork.

mclbruce
11-22-2007, 06:29 PM
It is true that Mac OS X makes zip files that can be confusing to Windows users. There are several utilities that will zip your files on the Mac in a way that works better with Windows. Here is one utility called YemuZip that will do the job.

http://www.yellowmug.com/yemuzip/help/