PDA

View Full Version : What does Internatiaonal version mean?

Dasman
11-16-2007, 01:13 PM
I have a silly question...What does "international version of OS X mean?" The reason I ask is there are fonts required for "international versions" of 10.4.10 and I want to delete them but see warnings about them being required. If I am using the Mac in the U.S. and no other language is required, will the sun still rise tomorrow if I delete these required fonts? Will my Mac ever restart? Are they only required IF I were to use a foreign language software? Thanks for any help understanding this.......simple English user

morespace54
11-16-2007, 03:07 PM
First, I personally wouldn't recommend that. The reason is simple: Lots of fonts are not required (like: German, if you only speak English) but some are required (like some Asian fonts), even if you don't use them. It's pretty hard to know *for sure* which is required and which isn't. Plus, some software (like Office 2004) required some extra fonts to work properly even if your system could live without them. So you see the catch...

Pre-installed system fonts aren't the bigger folders on your computer usually...

Anyway, if you *must* get ride of those extra fonts, I would recommend a software like Monolingual (http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/). I haven't try it personally but heard that's a good way to get ride of those (unnecessary) extra language resources. I don't know if it gets ride of the fonts specifically but it sure gets ride of the extra resources.

As usual, do a good valid backup before you go on!

good luck

P.S. I don't know if Monolingual is Leopard-friendly, so be extra careful.

solipsism
11-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Monolingual doesn't get rid of fonts. It gets rid of language support within applications by removing the language_abrev.lproj folders within applications. It hasn't been updated in 10 months but since it still accesses files the same way I doubt it will cause any harm. As with any install: use at your own risk.

As far as I know there is no international version of OS X. All supported languages come on the same installer disc. One disc for PPC or Intel, 32-bit or 64-bit, and all supported languages.