PDA

View Full Version : MBP 17" keyboard dropout

Cheech'i
11-15-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm experiencing a very strange issue. Randomly my keyboard will stop accepting any kind of input, then after a few seconds - a minute it will magically return. I have the most recent 17" MBP model and wanted to post in case others start having similar issues. If it gets worse I plan on getting a warranty replacement. It seems to be fine typing consistently, but if you leave it alone it's almost like the keyboard itself goes to sleep. I have to spam any given key for it to start (Caps lock is best because of the light) but once I get it to start working again, unless I'm typing consistently it goes away within a minute most of the time.

trevor
11-15-2007, 01:59 PM
During this time, does your mouse still respond? Is the time in your menubar (assuming you have time in your menubar) still updated?

What messages are sent to your logs when this happens? You can easily view your logs using the Console app, in /Applications/Utilities. Notice that most entries in your logs are time and date stamped so you can match events that take place in the real world (like the keyboard not accepting input) to older sections of the logs.

Trevor

Cheech'i
11-15-2007, 02:09 PM
yeah the system works fine, including mouse & clock (I have the seconds enabled anyway). just the keyboard doesn't do anything during that time. No errors are logged related to it, I checked that first :)

Happens whether the system is busy (folding, etc) or idle.

trevor
11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Also, have you tried an external keyboard (assuming that the keyboard that is not responding for you is the built-in keyboard in your MBP)? What does that do?

Trevor

wmscyclone
11-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Randomly my keyboard will stop accepting any kind of input, then after a few seconds - a minute it will magically return.

Are you running Leopard? macnn reports that it's killing MBP keyboards: Link to macnn article. (http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/14/macbook.pro.kybd.issues/)

A number of MacBook Pro owners who have upgraded to Mac OS X Leopard are encountering "dead" keyboards, discussions in Apple's support forums indicate. Primarily in the MacBook Pro forum, users are complaining that Leopard seems to be disabling their keyboards and/or trackpads, though only periodically.

operator207
11-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Odd, I have a powerbook G4 1.67, and it does the same thing. I never could find anyone talking about this.

Specifically my symptoms, which sound a heck of a lot like your problem:
Keyboard does not pick up your key presses after it is left unused for an unspecified amount of time. Usually >10 minutes. When you press any key on the keyboard, multiple times, you "wake it up". During this "keyboard sleep" your mouse functions correctly, including your touchpad or plugged in USB mouse.

System is running 10.4.10
1.5gb ram
1.67ghz ppc G4
15" powerbook

Have had this problem, as far as I can remember, I purchased this laptop just after 10.4 came out.

Cheech'i
11-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Since all the PB keyboards are on the same PCB, it's likely that we have very little differences in our keyboards. I haven't had ever the issue on my iBook G4 (it stopped booting before 10.4.10 :() but they use different keyboards.

That discussion is very much like what I'm seeing. And yes I bought this system with the leopard upgrade for $10 and it is currently running 10.5. Thanks for the link. I'm going to continue to play around with it and see if I can find a trigger to keep it active.