PDA

View Full Version : Can't load 10.3 on Trayload Xserve

mr2nut
11-14-2007, 03:52 AM
I'm sure i've read somewhere that the older Xserves with the trayloading CD Drive can't install anything past 10.2 due to hardware restrictions, am I right here? If so, is there any Software out there to get around this?

DeltaMac
11-14-2007, 06:41 AM
Your XServe is a G4, and 1GHz, so there should be no reason you can't install any version of OS X, even Leopard. I'm not sure about qualification for newer Server versions, but those should be OK, too, as long as you meet the other hardware requirements.

What sort of error do you get when you try to install 10.3?
Are you using a commercial installer disk, and is it in good condition?

Maybe the hard drive is not working properly... Have you tried a different hard drive?

mr2nut
11-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Your XServe is a G4, and 1GHz, so there should be no reason you can't install any version of OS X, even Leopard. I'm not sure about qualification for newer Server versions, but those should be OK, too, as long as you meet the other hardware requirements.

What sort of error do you get when you try to install 10.3?
Are you using a commercial installer disk, and is it in good condition?

Maybe the hard drive is not working properly... Have you tried a different hard drive?

It's not an error as such, it's when you load the CD and the Apple logo comes up on the grey screen with the spinning circle when loading, after a few seconds the Apple logo turns into a 'do not enter' logo and it won't load any further. The disc is in great condition.

The disc I am trying to use says on the front...

'Mac OS X Server Version 10.3 Install Disc - Version 10.3.7'

The Hard Drive is a new 120GB but I don't think it would be this anyway as the installation doesn't even start.

DeltaMac
11-14-2007, 07:18 AM
the 'Prohibitory' sign is a typical error, often software problems, but in your case, hardware would be the suspect.
Here's an article that might help.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106805

I would make sure that no hardware is attached other than an (Apple) USB keyboard and mouse, and your display. Temporarily remove any added networking cards, if any.
You didn't say how much memory is installed, but that needs to be at least 256MB.
Do you have any additional hard drives installed that could be removed?
Is the rest of the XServe hardware modified in any way from original, as far as you know?

mr2nut
11-14-2007, 07:20 AM
the 'Prohibitory' sign is a typical error, often software problems, but in your case, hardware would be the suspect.
Here's an article that might help.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106805

I would make sure that no hardware is attached other than an (Apple) USB keyboard and mouse, and your display. Temporarily remove any added networking cards, if any.
You didn't say how much memory is installed, but that needs to be at least 256MB.
Do you have any additional hard drives installed that could be removed?
Is the rest of the XServe hardware modified in any way from original, as far as you know?

Some good questions..

As I only have DVD 10.3 and the Xserve only has a CD-Drive, i'm having to plug in a USB DVD Drive to load up the installation DVD.

I have a secondary Network card installed also but i'm thinking it's more the external DVD drive myself?

The memory is 1GB.

tlarkin
11-14-2007, 07:48 AM
You could target disk mode boot your Xserve into a laptop and load the OS from there. That is what I would try to rule out the issue with third party external devices. Plus, if I recall correctly, there are issues booting PPC macs with USB devices. You may also want to try a firewire external optical drive and see if that works better.

mr2nut
11-14-2007, 09:17 AM
You could target disk mode boot your Xserve into a laptop and load the OS from there. That is what I would try to rule out the issue with third party external devices. Plus, if I recall correctly, there are issues booting PPC macs with USB devices. You may also want to try a firewire external optical drive and see if that works better.

You legend. Thanks for that, it seems to be installing fine though target mode. I really dont know why I didnt think of this sooner as i've installed quite a few G4s this way lol. Cheers anyway. :D

tlarkin
11-14-2007, 10:15 AM
You legend. Thanks for that, it seems to be installing fine though target mode. I really dont know why I didnt think of this sooner as i've installed quite a few G4s this way lol. Cheers anyway. :D

no worries there are always at least 100 ways to accomplish something with technology.