PDA

View Full Version : Finding files in hidden lacie volumes? newbie-ish

baguettefrenzy
11-07-2007, 02:53 PM
I have a LaCie d2 quadra hardrive that I keep connected to my iBook g4 (osx 10.4.10). A lot of times I can't find my files.

The disk is named "Mon.Disk" and files should be saved under the general path "/Volumes/Mon.Disk". Sometimes I find that they were saved under another path like "/Volumes/Mon.Disk 12", ".../Mon.Disk 13", etc. and then I can't find that specific volume in finder or spotlight.

What's going on and how do I access these numbered volumes?

ShavenYak
11-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Are you, by chance, failing to eject the volume before unplugging it sometimes? Those volumes do not really exist. Most likely, what is happening is the volume isn't being ejected, then when it's reconnected there is still some process holding onto the original "/Volumes/Mon.Disk" mountpoint. This causes the disk to be mounted as "/Volumes/Mon.Disk 1" the next time. Eventually you'll wind up with "Volumes/Mon.Disk 12" if this happens enough.

The good thing is, even though the application that saved the file may be convinced that it was saved to "Mon.Disk 12", the file isn't in any special volume. It's either on the LaCie exactly where you'd expect to find it - the "Mon.Disk 12" having simply been a different temporary name for the volume - or it's in a temporary folder that got left behind in /Volumes on your iBook's harddrive.

Try ejecting the disk and unhooking the drive. Restart your machine. Open Finder, and use Apple-G (I think) to go to the "/Volumes" directory. See if there are any old "Mon.Disk xx" folders there. You might find files you think you lost under them. You might (although I doubt it) also find some in "Recovered files" in your Trash. Once you've salvaged any files there, erase all the "Mon.Disk xx" folders, and empty the trash. Now you can reconnect your drive, and it should be simply /Volumes/Mon.Disk. From now on, try to always remember to eject it before disconnecting it.

baguettefrenzy
11-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Amazing! I found my files - and about 7GB worth of other files that had been cluttering my harddrive all this time.. thanks!

trevor
11-07-2007, 08:13 PM
And try very very hard in the future to always put away (in other words, dismount) your drive properly before turning it off or disconnecting it.

Not dismounting can cause all sorts of problems, including the non-existent drives that you are seeing, as well as worse things such as data corruption and loss.

Trevor