PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine question

Sonoran
10-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Now that Leopard has been out for a few days I will ask my Time Machine question.

I am a new Mac user using a Mac Pro and Tiger. I have two USB external drives that I use for daily backups of my critical data. I use iBackup software to backup my data on alternate days to alternate drives. I like the idea of redundant drives in case of a failure.

If I go to Leopard will Time Machine recognize a new internal drive and always keep my main HD mirrored?

I would still like to back up my client data on a daily basis to the USB drives, but if Time Machine would work on an internal drive then all my apps & settings would be safe, too.

Anyone see a problem with this scenario?

trevor
10-31-2007, 04:15 PM
If I go to Leopard will Time Machine recognize a new internal drive and always keep my main HD mirrored?

You set the drive that Time Machine backs up to, it doesn't automatically pick a drive that you may or may not want it to use. Yes, you can set it to back up to an internal drive as long as it is not the boot drive--that's the way I'm set up on my PowerMac G5. Time Machine will not back up to the boot drive.

I don't see any problem with the scenario you outline.

Trevor