PDA

View Full Version : I knew it. Vista operating system is the fastest OS

roncross@cox.net
10-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Vista is a smoking operating system. See for your self.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html

cwtnospam
10-29-2007, 10:32 PM
I literally laughed out loud when I read this line:
...the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows.

tlarkin
10-29-2007, 11:05 PM
God, I can't wait to show every PC elitist gamer that think macs suck simply because you can't game on it, even though it out benchmarked games on Farcry over other laptops. However, to be fair, Farcry is no longer quite near cutting edge when it comes to gaming, it is several years old.

styrafome
10-29-2007, 11:32 PM
...the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows.

I love that line! And the article, and that it's in "PC World" of all places.

Even though that line is not true.

Never in its history has Apple cared MORE that we run Windows...that's why they went to all that trouble to make, integrate, and market Boot Camp.

roncross@cox.net
10-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Bottom line is that Apple running unix, X11, Windows makes the price a steal when compared to DELL or other PC machines. Apple hard work is definitely paying off.

I guess this put the claim, "you can't compare the two machines, Apple and Dell, side by side because they run two different operating system" to rest.

Knowing Apple, they are probably trying to figure out a way optimize for both OS'es for future bragging rights but they will never omit it...

tlarkin
10-29-2007, 11:55 PM
I love that line! And the article, and that it's in "PC World" of all places.

Even though that line is not true.

Never in its history has Apple cared MORE that we run Windows...that's why they went to all that trouble to make, integrate, and market Boot Camp.

You know what is interesting. At work today we were talking about cars, mainly because i kind of am tired with my car and want a new one. We started talking about car companies, models of cars, features so on and so forth. One of my co-workers was talking about how Dodge was hurting in sales because it lacked an entry level car, how everyone else had one and they didn't. The logic behind the argument is, if you can go buy a ford focus really cheap and end up liking it, down the road when you have more money you are probably more inclined to purchase another Ford.

So, you have the Mac mini, which is fairly priced for what it can do, and the iMac as well, and you can run windows on it. It was obvious that is in Apple's interest to run windows. These entry level machines can introduce windows users into a Mac and they can still run windows to make the transition easier. I have a prime example.

We have to deploy about 60 new machines at my work for a specific group of users. The specifications are, they have to run windows and be all-in-one machines because of the building they are going into have very limited power plugs and space. The iMac when compared to other PC all-in-ones is very attractive price and spec wise. Also, when you buy in bulk you get negotiate price breaks on business sales, but every company does that. Not only spec for spec was the iMac pretty much even, but feature wise it was a bit over. Built in camera and built in Firewire were two features that were not common in the all-in-ones. Then we get a good price on them as well because they are evenly priced and they can run windows via boot camp.

That is right, I am actually deploying 60 macs that will not run OS X at all. They will be 60 windows machines. So, it is totally in Apple's interest to allow their machines to run windows. It will change businesses. The sony low profile all-in-ones are really the only competition (HP and Gateways are more consumer machines than enterprise) and the sony is like $300 more per a machine, multiply that by 60 and we just saved $18,000 on a deployment. I bet when the replacement cycle hits for our gateway low profile machines, we could very well go to a 75% mac computer ratio, with about 20% of those macs running nothing but windows. This will help migration a TON for people who have windows only applications or technologies. Then each user will most likely boot into OS X every once in a while to try out all the buzzword applications like imovie, iphoto, etc. Then once they get comfortable they will maybe just want to use OS X.