PDA

View Full Version : ldap and nis

brettgrant99
09-25-2007, 09:06 AM
I have a small private network setup at work where one xserve is the ldap, opendirectory, & nfs server. This headnode is connected to the company network. So far, as long as I maintain the users, everything is going great.

However, the company maintains their own set of users for everyone in the company, and I would like to take advantage of that. On the unix side, they do everything through NIS. I don't know much about nis. If I set up the head node to authenticate against nis, can this information be used by the private computers on the network that are using ldap and OD? Is what I am asking even make sense?

I know that there are some settings in directory access, but I have never really used them before. Any pointers?

Thanks,
Brett

giskard22
09-25-2007, 12:36 PM
I can't address NIS specifically, but in situations where you want to authenticate users against one directory and apply MCX from Open Directory, the client computers need to be bound to both. This setup has become quite common with Macs accessing Active Directory.

It certainly won't hurt to experiment. In AD-OD setups, you bind to AD first, then OD. You also bind the server to AD. Then, you can nest AD users inside OD groups to provide group-level MCX preferences.

If you run into problems with Kerberos, check out http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300765